American Library of Congress building plans

Discussion in 'Plans & Blueprints' started by MasonJar, Jul 3, 2008.

1. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

2. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Whoa!! So much for sleep tonight......and the next night. Thanks so much for the LOC link. This is great!!
  3. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

I love the LofC architectural database, it's an outstanding resource, but it has two major flaws.

First, it has an inexcusably terrible interface for searching. Search results are text only - no thumbnails for a database of photos and graphics! Not very useful when sifting through hundreds of search results (you have to click on each one, some take a long time to load). Secondly, you can't link to individual pages - they appear to have temporary URLS.

It's a wonderful, massive treasure trove, but those two flaws can make it frustrating to use.
  4. You are correct about those 2 problems is why I download all I find that is of any interest and archive on my computer. I guess we can tell I spend a lot of time on that site.

I've also found the search on this page to work well

5. b28_82

b28_82 Member

There's quite a wealth of information out there for any scratch builder let alone any modeler!:thumb::thumb::thumb:
  6. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

You know whats cool? My Grandma & Grandpa's (dad's parents) house's drawings and floor plan are on there, along with the school my dad went to as a child!

Dad's school, closed up, in the late 90's it was torn down, and the school district relocated (from a separate, larger school), to a new building about 1/4 mile from this location, where I graduated!

Grandparents house:

Sadly they do not have any photos of the grandparents house.
  7. That's so cool Josh! I didn't think to look for those type of historical buildings. The Sears homes where really popular back then in fact the home I grew up in was a mail order home. The entire home cam pre-fab on a truck and all you do is put it together. My dad was telling me about it.
  8. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Yeah, its quite impressive how much info there was on Quincy Mining Co. operations... I was drooling over ALL the info. And rekindling memories in my dad's head over the phone.
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Great find, but really puzzling. This is THE Library of Congress, right? And they do not know the definition of an "aerial tramway"?