American Flyer Quartering Tools

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by acflyer322, Mar 11, 2007.

1. acflyer322

acflyer322 New Member

Hi everyone,

I have been working on making quartering tools for Flyers. So far I have developed one for all 6 wheeled driver loco's with the exception of the docksider and Penn switcher and one for the 0-8-0 switcher. I listed them on Ebay and I can't believe the response on them. The demand for these tools is really a lot more than I thought it would be. I had a pair of the original Gilbert quartering tools and I didn't care much for it due to the fact that anytime you press on more than one wheel at a time it creates problems and will cause you to do it over again. One wheel at a time is the way to go. Wheel timing is one of the most important issues in rebuilding or repairing broken wheels or insulators etc. If driver timing is off that locomotive will run horrible and may burn itself up. Keep in mind that these engines are 50 - 60 years old and may have changed hands many times. During the changing of hands these loco's have had numerous people some experienced some not take these engines apart. More often then not they damage it more then repairing it. Incorrect wheel timing is one of the main things these people do. They try and guess or try to hold the wheels on the opposing sides and press on the wheel on the other side. Quartering tools are very important because there is no guessing or trying to hold wheels in place while you time it up. Fact is this is what made me machine a good quartering tool for my own use and after I did I thought maybe other Flyer collectors would like this tool. Believe me I have taken apart engines that have never been apart before and found wheel timing to be off a tad and once corrected the engine ran so much better. Once you have the correct wheel timing you will see a significant difference in the way your loco will run. Classic example was I have this K-5 that ran slow and no matter what I did even replacing a complete motor still ran slow. I went one more step and took a tender unit from another K-5 and still ran the same. I thought maybe one rivet is dirty that I can't see and it is robbing juice from the reverse unit but no such thing. The next thing I did was check the wheel timing - bingo 2 sets of drivers was off. This was a chance now to make a quality quartering tool and end this pressing 3 wheels on at a time. Took me a few nights to develop it but once finished it was a awhsome tool. I have the capabilities of machining and making this tool was no biggie. Well I began to retime the K-5 that was running very slow. After pulling off all the wheels checking the flanges for rubbing on the chassis there was none just poor wheel timing. I reinstalled the wheels correctly and wow now its one of the fastest K-5's on the shelf. Wheel timing is critical on steamers because if one wheel is out of time by more then 3 degrees this loco may even lock up or have a weird knocking noise when it runs. One way to detect poor wheel timing without taking it apart is just lift the engine off the track keeping the tender on for current. As it runs if you feel in the engine has a slight or heavy clicking or knocking most times its poor wheel timing. Correcting this tool without a quartering tool is not a good idea because you would be better off just leaving it the way it is then trying to correct it. With a quartering tool it is a simple operation and will only take a few minutes to correct the timing. That K-5 is so fast now I call it the "Freak" . I have engines with large motors and it is just as fast as them or maybe faster ! I don't say that all small motor engines will run that fast but I will say this you will see a major difference in the way it runs if wheel timing is incorrect. Well keep the smoke stack up and the wheels on the track and have a great weekend everyone, ACFLYER322