American Flyer Air Chime Whistle

gkcooper365

New Member Old S Scale
I posted this on the S & O gauge page, but I thought I would try here also and see what I can learn.

Hi, I have a question about wiring an air chime whistle. I have my track set up with 4 sets of feeder wires on a 5 by 10 double main oval layout I have always run A/F steam locomotives.
I just purchased my first diesel set, a very clean early 50's A/F 365 Alco A & B. In the wiring instructions for the air chime whistle it states that the only feed wires to the track must come from the whistle control box. This will no doubt reduce the voltage around the loop and cause the trains to run at uneven speeds around the loop.
Has anyone got a solution to be able to use the air chime whistle with multiple power feeds to the track loop?
Thank you,
George

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
This is a guess.
Take the main track power feeder from the transformer, and connect it to the control box.
My guess is that the control box sends a "piggyback" signal to the loco, using the track power feeds. If this is the case, there should be no interuption or power drop when activating the whistle.
Like I said, this is only a guess.

steamhead

Also...I don't think there should be a problem with taking additional feeds from the whistle control box, or from the connecting terminal (better), to other parts of the loop...as long as you wire outside rails to outside rails, and the same for the inner ones....Let us know how you make out....
(I'm a "closet" AF addict...Don't let the HO guys know....).

gkcooper365

New Member Old S Scale
The Whistle

Steamhead,
Thank you, I will try that hookup also. From a test I did by unhooking the track feeders and just running one feeder through the horn control, I am not too impressed with the sound. Sounds like a buzz, I am going to try to locate another generator tube, before I do anything else.
George