American Flyer 4684 Engine

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Pat Hamilton, Nov 1, 2005.

  1. Pat Hamilton

    Pat Hamilton New Member

    I have an American Flyer 4684 engine that has been handed down a couple of generations. I am looking for a part for the engine. I need the track contact piece with the barrell shaped contacts mounted to it. Any help finding this would be appreciated.

    Pat Hamilton
  2. TR-Flyer

    TR-Flyer Member

    Hi Pat:
    Is this S-Gauge?

  3. Pat Hamilton

    Pat Hamilton New Member


    I believe that it is S gauge, but I am not sure. There are three rails on the track and it is fairly wide for compared to other trains and track that I have seen. Should I measure the track width to verify? Thanks.

  4. 60103

    60103 Pooh Bah

    Pat: measure the track gauge (distance from one rail to the other). If it's 7/8" it's S gauge; if 1 1/4", it's O gauge.
    3 rails makes me think O gauge. I don't think they made 3-rail in S. That puts it at pre-World War II.
  5. Russ Bellinis

    Russ Bellinis Active Member

    It sounds like prewwII to me. I think American Flyer went over to "S" gauge after the war. I doubt if any parts are available for your specific locomotive, but I wonder if Lionel rollers or Mike's Train House rollers would fit or could be made to fit?
  6. Dave Farquhar

    Dave Farquhar Member

    If it's 3-rail, it's prewar American Flyer O gauge. Flyer never made 3-rail S gauge.

    The best source for prewar O gauge parts is Model Engineering Works. You can find them at but you may have to call them to ask what parts they have would fit.

Share This Page