American Flyer 4-rail O gauge track????

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jan 21, 2007.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

what the heck runs on 4 rails? seen some for sale on ebay
  2. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I think some of the AF operating cars used the fourth rail to activate them.
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i dont know much about AF yet, i keep thinking i want to add some to my collection, but i look at them, and then look at lionel prewar stuff, and it looks like lionel and AF just copied one or the other, like lionel pass cars, 610,612 and what not, AF has some that look darn close. guess i just have not found the right AF stuff yet to trip my triger.
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

AF made a variety of stuff, some of which was very similar to Lionel. They did a lot of tin litho early on like Ives, but Lionel's bright enamel painted stuff sold better, so AF moved to that method, and those pieces looked a lot like Lionel. The late prewar 3/16 stuff is pretty distinctive. I have a little bit of each, depending on what I've been able to find locally. Once I have a piece in my hands, it's really hard for me not to buy it, regardless of what it is. I'm a very weak man that way. :)
  5. 4 rail track

At one time they had an uncoupler track that lookelike it had 4 rails. I don't remember three rail having any of the mentioned type of track.
  6. 4 rail o track

Disreguard my last post. I found the e-bay site and it said it was for the whistle control on some of the locos that were equiped with it. I just saw it on e-bay and thought I would let everyone know that .:thumb:
  7. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

8. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

you beat me to it

9. 4-rail O track

Hey Ozzy,
    No problem , I looked earlier and it wasn't there but the it apeared and I had to let you know, glad you found it