American Flyer 290 Locomotive

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by cartbridge, Nov 7, 2007.

1. cartbridge

cartbridge New Member

Can anyone help me with my AF 290 locomotive? When I turn the power on the tender humms and clicks but the loco just sits there. No lights. No humming. The wires from the tender to the loco appear to be in place.
  2. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

My first thought was to check the siderods/running gear to see if something isn't jammed or bound up. That would not explain the lack of power to the lights though unless you have more than one problem and the other is a burnt out bulb.
  3. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

The bulb might be burned out, but that wouldn't keep it from working. Does the tender have a little lever on the underside you can move to "lock" the reversing system..?? It might have locked in a neutral position. Or one of the wires might have broken (this happened to me), but since they were the old "cloth" insulated type, you really couldn't tell the wire was broken. I replaced all the wiring from the tender to the loco & it's been working fine ever since....this is on a 50's 0-8-0.
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Not overly familiar with AF internals, but I would check the reversing unit which may be stuck in a neutral position. That would mean that the the armature is getting power but the field magnet isn't (or vice versa) which accounts for the hum. The first check is the lock-out lever, then the actual reverser.
    Or the mechanism may be gummed up with old grease.
  5. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

The tender hummms? there could be the possibility that the trucks are reversed (one truck is reversed 180 deg.)
  6. cartbridge

cartbridge New Member

Thanks Gus. This might be the problem. How should I adjust the lever under the tender? mRight now it is in the center.

7. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hi....The lever should be fully to one side or the other...not centered. The trucks in the tender should have one to one side and the other 180 deg. to it, so one set of metal wheels rides on one rail, and the other set on the other rail. Does your engine have a little sprung contact between each set of wheels in the tender..? Make sure these contacts and the metal wheels are nice & clean...They're the only contacts to get power to the engine.

Hope this helps.
  8. cartbridge

cartbridge New Member

Af 290

Nothing is jamming the siderods. Wheels of engine do not turn freely. Does that help?

9. cartbridge

cartbridge New Member

The trucks are not reversed. Wheels are clean and springs making contact. ????
  10. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Oops, I guess I should have asked if this engine is tender driven. What I meant, however, was that maybe one of the trucks is reversed because of polarity. I could try to explain how, but I wouldn't make much sense if I tried, although someone else might know how it works.
  11. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

The wheels on the engine should not turn freely...They're driven by a worm gear off the motor. Have you checked the brushes in the motor..?? Maybe they're worn or not there. These are located behind the two brass covers in the engine's cab. There should be two wires going to these brass caps. Make sure the wires are there and well attached (soldered) to the caps. Remove the caps with care as there is a spring behind them which hold the brushes against the motor.

I'm saying all of this assuming that your engine is very much like mine....:mrgreen: