American Castles

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by JRSeese, Feb 19, 2004.

1. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

My primary romance is with paper models of castles and cathedrals - I would love to see Betexa quality models of some American castles, like Stan Hywet Hall in Akron, OH ( a one tank trip from my home in Mentor ) or Casa Loma in Toronto...

Maybe I just need to learn how to design models

2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I think you just answered your own question!! If you want some pointers for designing, just ask, and then duck for cover. INCOMING!!!!

3. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

For now, I need some build experience under my belt, as I am as green as an old twenty-dollar bill... but it'll be in the back of my mind, for sure!
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Start designing as soon as possible, it is a lot more difficult than most think at first...., but you'll soon discover how great some of the better designers of this art are. That's when the depth of your appreciation for card modeling will really take off.

Best regards, Gil
  5. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

the real hard part of designing is the ability to lay
    out your model so others who haven't done the research that the designer has done can repeat the
    structure. I spend more time with this aspect than actually working on the pieces/construction. Think about it, how many models have far more disk space devoted to the instructons than the actual model. It's very different than just doing a one-of
    model. But very satisfying. It's a real rush when someone else recreates your model, thousands of miles away, just like you laid it out.
  6. Maurice

Maurice Member

The really hard part is producing an original set of developed shapes to play around with in the first place.
    In fact some people seem to find that impossible, particularly when they don't even know the difference between a straight line and an oval, let alone an elipse.
  7. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

You mean like when the moon moves in front of the sun?

8. Peter H

Peter H Member

:idea: :idea: :idea:

I know!!!!!

When it's an oval it's 4 and when it's an elipse, the ump uses his wedding ring and calls to the rooms for the box of old balls.

Peter H
  9. Maurice

Maurice Member

Not quite like that Josh, but please don't strain anything trying to work it out. :wink:

BTW at one time we used to have 2 dollar bills and they were green too. (honest - they weren't phoney - it helped people when Oz went to decimal currency and converted the pound to 2 dollars)

Also enjoying the funhouse.