Ambitious for a first scratch, I think.

Chaparral

Feb 5, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I’ve been thinking on this method long enough. Here’s the ‘blueprint’ conjured up from various bits gleaned from web searches. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 so I can resize and print to N scale. The cost of importing 1/32 bass wood is prohibitively costly so I’m covering the pattern with strip wood, actually 1/16 balsa.I'll be working around the window and door openings and glueing the printed cutouts in.
I hope to have some progress photos shortly.

Attachments

• backside.jpg
    backside.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 35
  • frontside.jpg
    frontside.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 24
  • leftside.jpg
    leftside.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 25
  • rightside.jpg
    rightside.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 19

Sawdust

Nov 11, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Looks very nice & well designed. Once you get your project walls up make sure you concentrate on areas for bracing to prevent warpage. Looks like it's going to be an interesting project. Keep us posted. :thumb:

Chaparral

Feb 5, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Forgive me, but here's last winter's N scale practice effort after I noticed how uniform pasta was.
It's 27 N feet wide x 21 high.
Yeah, I laughed too!

Attachments

• pasta face.jpg
    pasta face.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 18

ytter_man

Jun 12, 2008
Montana
Well, pasta is a new one to me sign1

Cant imagine what paint or thinner would do to it.

Do tell us what happens with your new scratch. :thumb:

Chaparral

Feb 5, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Well, it's gonna be HO!
No one in this area serving almost 1.7 million carries N specialty, like doors & windows. Oh they can get it, in a month, special order.

So, I'm goin' HOme!
Same building but 1/87 !

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Actually, in MR many years ago, there was a blurb on a bridge built in HO scale using spaghetti, it was surprisingly sturdy.

Looking forward to your progress.

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
Forgive me, but here's last winter's N scale practice effort after I noticed how uniform pasta was.
It's 27 N feet wide x 21 high.
Yeah, I laughed too!

Seal it, airbrush it and it works just fine. Nobody laughs at building, painting and weathering structures out of cardboard,which sounds even more illogical.

I'm planning on using some of those spiral pastas for a special project. It will work just fine.

Chaparral

Feb 5, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I feel like a first grader with another 'art' project to hang on the fridge.
Everyone knows this but, get a Chopper, the best you can afford.
I wasted a lot of energy with repetitive measuring,using balsa, too soft, not uniform, and with pastie windows on label paper, they look yukky.
This is effort number three, in basswood, with Grandt windows and doors with some bits cut from an N scale built up.

Attachments

• zealot 1.jpg
    zealot 1.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 20