Amazed newbie looks to try hand at paper engineering.

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by BazookaJo, Apr 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

In regards to designing 3d models. I have copies of Milkshape3D, AC3D, and Metasequioia on my computer and when it comes to designing the world famous line of Flintstone era models, I fall back to my favorite program. The 2d side of TurboCAD. I don't "hand draw," but I do draw out all my models.

I find it a very effective way to challenge my mind. I imagine the final product in my head, then "deconstruct" each piece, unfold it to a flat panel, and draw that image.

One of these days I might figure out how to make a good looking model in a 3d program (tried making an He-178 a while back but all the little fixes required to make it look good was too tedious for me) and then will be able ot do all the hundreds of aircraft I want models of, but until then, I'll stick with my current design workflow. 8v)

2. goney3

goney3 Member

Hey WebDude,
    Does this mean you'll be making us eager 'newbies' a MilkShape 3D Tutorial for papermodels? :)

'Pass the torch' to the next generation? ;)
  3. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Milkshape Tutorials? Nah. There are plenty of those already floating around the web. Now, modelling for Pepakura (So they don't have the commonly mis-associated 'boxy/sharp angle' look) is something I "might" get around to putting in writing one of these days....
    Next Generation????? Suddenly I'm feeling aches and pains.....Think I'll rest my old tired self for a while........:cry:
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member (free mesh design tool) (ditto, plus animation) (free, or pay a small fee for a few additional features, inc eps export, wonderful for those of us who prefer vector graphics)

These, plus a bitmap editor (gimp, paint, Paint shop Pro etc) will get you well on the way to designing your own modells digitally. Of course, like all things, whatever tools you use, you gotta practise!!!

5. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Amen to that!
  6. goney3

goney3 Member

*chuckles* I didn't meen for it to make you sound old... hehehe, you could be my age for all I know ;)

Yeah, I was curious about the Milkshape to Pepakura process... hehehe, I'll check out the other tutorials on how to make the models :)

I'm loving these learning curves... yippee! :D
  7. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

I'm only as old as I've burnt-out/abused myself to the point of feeling....:grin: (It's been a GREAT ride so far!):grin:
    If you're going to do the Pepakura thing what I did was start downloading all those free 3D models on the web. 99.99% will not be suitable for papercraft but opening them in Pepakura will start to give you an idea of which geometries perform best in the program. You can then start designing your original 3D work utilizing those same geometries, whichever 3d software you choose.
  8. goney3

goney3 Member

Hehehe, exactly... could you expand on this topic a bit more. ;)
    Everywhere I look its explained pretty fuzzy to me. :oops:

And 3D models put into Pepakura tend to 'explode' so its hard to tell which was what when. :razz:

Many thanks,
  9. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Which is exactly what Pepakura is supposed to do.:grin:
    It's a very simple program actually and only performs a few functions.
    1. Unfolds the model to a plane. You can define where you want cut lines to be 'before' you create the development pattern.
    2. Allows you to set the size of the glue tabs and which of two joining pieces you want the tabs to be on.
    3.Scale your model to a defined size based on the Y axis (Height) of the model when imported into the program. You are limited of course by the rule of "your largest single part can not exceed the size of one page". There is also a limit of 25 pages per development but there's a common sense workaround for that.

While the help file could be a tad more in depth it's really shouldn't take more than an hour or so to read through it. You might also want to print it out to keep along side you as you learn.

When you say to yourself "Where is THAT part on the model??" try turning off the 'Use Color and Texture for Surface Draw' function and using the 'Check Corresponding Surfaces' tool.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.