Amazed newbie looks to try hand at paper engineering.

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by BazookaJo, Apr 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Isn't the web amazing.

Some days I can spend hours surfing for info and come away with nothing, and other days like today, I can surf for five minutes and strike gold.

Went looking for a Cylon sweeping eye, and found a Battlestar Galactica modelling forum, which led me to a a post on paper models from Battlestar Galactica, which lead me to the Paper Modelling web ring, which led me to the utterly awesome Wacky Racer models by WebDude, which then in a round about way led me here.

What an absolutely fabulous concept. This is what the web is all about - 3D models that can be printed and built straight from the computer.

Until we all have a 3d printer, or until matter transportation is possible, this is truly the next best thing.

Now all I need is the first clue about how to get started...onto the posts.

2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Welcome to the Forum. We're all pretty friendly and like to help where we can. As for getting started designing card models if you're looking for software I prefer Rhino 3D for designing the models but it is a little pricey there are other cheaper as well as free programs that I'm sure the other members are better suited than I to comment on. Again welcome and feel free to ask questions.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy again Joe,

Well, since you now have the modeling programs links, you will soon find that this hobby, (cardmodeling) is very addictive.
    And, since you were looking for something from BG anyway, I thought I would give you the link to a card model of the colonial viper and a cylon raider.

These models are brought to you by the lower hudson valley challenger center, which is a non profit education center.
    The home page is found here: and to get to all the free models availible from J. Leslie (forum member here too) and the lhvcc, please visit this link for not only the sci fi models, but other types of models as well. Such as space craft models and misc. models.
    I hope that the vien of "gold" you struck always provides you with anything you can think of.
    If you think you might want links to other sites containing models, let me know what you are looking for and more than likely I have a link for it.

I hope these help, have a good day,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)

4. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Cheers Guys

Want to dive in straight away and do some designing (have a few things I'd love to do), but I'm going to start at the beginning with this. I'll start with the BSG models and do a couple of Wacky Racers before I even think about tyring anything from scratch.

Thanks for the link GEEDUBBYA.
  5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

3d printers? . Give it 5 years, I reckon you will be able to buy this technology in your local Walmart.... There are lots of other technologies too! I work with a machine in my day job, as well as a cnc machine. The future? It's already here...

But you are right, printing a 3d model out of your own inkjet is sooooo neat!

Have fun; I'm sure you will!

Tim P
  6. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

My work here is done!:twisted:
    Welcome Joe!
  7. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Hi there I am newbie too, unfortunately unlike you I think I have struck gold and now the goldrush is over!. I am quite sure that I have downloaded every free model on the web, well apart from the really bad ones or the ones where I can't understand the websites! Anyway I hear what you're saying about the 'cool' factor of card models. As a kid I was always amazed that a book from a supermarket could turn into a highly detailed 3d model, albeit after lots of glue on hands, the table and sometimes on the model not forgeting the blisters from cheap scissors.And now you can download them it's even better. And my hat goes down to all the people that put their models on the web for download, I love a freebie and it's so kind of these people to give us all of the freebies. Don't know if you have looked already but if you want some amazing models look at the bikes on the Yamaha site.
  8. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Ah, but downloading doesn't count - you have to build them as well GT:wink:

Anyway, what about doing a few of your own designs? Surely there must be some models you would haved loved to make, but that no-one's already done. Why not have a go and put a little something back in?

Best regards

9. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Yes I know I have got a few that I am desperate to make but my printer is on the blink and keeps getting blocked up. So until I get a new printer I can't do much. As for designing some of my own I really wish I could unfortunately I don't have the required skills for that.
  10. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Neither do I, but I'm working on it....

I've assumed that the first thing I need to be able to do is model in 3D. As such I've got a 3D design package and I'm working my way through the tutorials a little bit each day.

When (or maybe if) I get my desired model (a certain cartoon character*) I'll be back on these boards to try figure out the best way to unfold it.

Prepare to be dazzled:-D

*PS It's not a Hanna Barbera model, but I'd really like someone to do a paper model of mutley if you've got a spare couple of months:roll: hint hint
  11. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Working on this right now....

Attached Files:

12. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Looking pretty damn good as usual Webdude.

Just out of interest, what 3D modelling package do you use?
  13. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Good old inexpensive ($25US or 25EUR) Milkshape 3D.
    Because, quite frankly, you don't need to spend thousands or even hundreds of dollars to create 3D for papermodels.
    And, speaking of 3D the DinoCrane is ready for texturing.
  14. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Nice:grin: !

Will the texture mapping be done via Milkshape also?
  15. 46rob

46rob Member

You do not need 3-d modeling software, or unfolding programs to design a card model. I have designed models of the A7, F100, A4, F2Y, P-80, T33 and DC9 with nothing more than high school drafting techniques, a bit of math and Photoshop Elements for the final product. I've also done ground support equipment, structures and am currently designing a 1/72 F101. All it takes is a methodical approach, a bit of intuition, and the realization that it isn't an overnight process. My F100 and T33 are in the parts' bin if you want to see what can be done the old fashioned way.
  16. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Ninjatoes and Gunnar Sillen' (Bildrum) come to mind as two who hand draw models of excellent quality and style. (They're also two of my favorite designers!)
    My only point was that if you do go the 3D route you don't have to spend a ton of money on the software.:wink:
  17. BazookaJo

BazookaJo Member

Hi Rob

I realise paper models have been around a long time before computers. In fact I would have probably had a go at a manual design if I hadn't discovered the computer approach on this very forum.

For me this a good thing as it suits my skillsets a little better (I am a lot more competent with a computer than I am with a pencil and a ruler).

To be honest, I think I would have found it pretty frustrating taking the manual route considering the types of model I have in mind, but kudos to those who can and do.

18. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Yes indeed it will (Already has actually and the pattern is almost ready to print. I guess I was feeling inspired:twisted: ). Milkshape has an excellent built in texture mapper.

Attached Files:

19. hpept

hpept Member

hey, webdude!
    The model is coming out really great, i can't wait to see it finished. Excellent work as usual.
  20. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

I don't recommend carving that "as usual" in stone though. (Leave me a little room to screw up!:grin: )

The pattern is printed and I'll be starting the build soon. Interested Beta-type build folks can PM me and I'll send the 7 page PDO out to the first 3 responders. Public release will be Acrobat PDF format. Please don't ask unless you can start almost immediately. I'll be on it myself no later than Friday 28 April and since my instructions are all photo these days I have to build in order to release.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.