Amateur modelmaker: Still learning, still practising

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Arjun, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arjun

Arjun Member

Dear friends,

I am an amateur modelmaker from Mumbai, India. Currently I make models out of cardpaper, but I started with wood. I started only in the middle of 2004, with some very hard wood, which I tried shaping with my grandfather's tools (he used to make our furniture long ago) and a newly-purchased Stanley knife. That had its problems, as I couldn't cut it enough. That knife vanished somewhere in the house, and with academic commitments and guitar practice, that had to wait.

Since October this year, I have found a new and simple medium to use for making my models– cardpaper. I came across this site by a Japanese modelmaker, who made flying models out of card. I made two that way, just to test, then more decorative ones for display. My first 'official' model was an F-16 with the wrong livery– I used Blue Angels colours, when F-16 isn't in that!

I then drew my own plans and made an A-10 Thunderbolt II, with round engines and everything else flat. Then I made another F-16, this time with the Thunderbirds livery (no livery issues now!) and an F/A-18, with Blue Angels colours and fairing. Initially, I used paint, but with drying paint wetted recently, I got uneven finish. I then used coloured cardpaper and glaze paper for decoration, with minimum use of sketchpens and paint. Then came a simple Tornado model.

These were just flat-panel models. I felt the need...the need to go 3-D. I made a Hawker Hurricane (though it should have been a Spitfire), then my most impressive model. Then a testing model out of bond paper for a Formula car. Call it a mistake of sorts, but I downloaded Mamecraft's models and attempted to make a Su-27. First I carbon-copied the printout on cardpaper, but it wasn't bending or sticking enough. I then cut around the printer paper, only for it to get fused in odd places and then collapse. Ther same happened with the F-22.

I then put my Engineering Drawing skills to good use, making a flat-panel-bodied bull. I stuck in place the parts, but assembly was left. I then pulled out my paint set and got a decent finish, but the model's still a bit irregular, though family and friends were amazed at it. My latest model till date is a Jaguar strike aircraft with weapons, and out here, I'd have to be mad to do it. Initially I would download plans for paper models, then print them and copy on card, but now I'm thinking of making my own plans for my models.

About myself, I'm a second-year post graduate student, and there's hardly much time for us to even go about picnicking or partying (which happened a lot then), so many ask how I have the time. The truth is, I don't. I'm just way off the mark there. My mother now complains that we won't have much space left in our small suburban apartment if I keep making models. I've got a good hand for drawing, and have done lots of sketches and paintings, especially in school. Now I'm looking to take my art to 3-D land. I'm also a learning guitarist, and guitar practice is another interest which I take seriously, not because of time on hands, but because I'm mad about it. I don't like reading too much, unless I'm interested in what I read. I'm more of a tools-on-table person (or a hardware freak) than a bookworm.

To family and friends, I'm slightly mad. To most of you, I'm still learning, and still practising. I can post these pictures here (not sure how to) and I'd like to know how I can take them forward. Even when I'm not cutting card or sticking or decorating it, I'm still thinking, how do I make the next one, to get a better model than my last. My model factory runs like a cottage industry, and I'd like to make it work more profesionally, like a Fiddler's Green, or, the way you do. In a way, forever evolving! For an introduction, that was long.....
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Welcome to the site!

Sounds like you have had fun learning. SO if that's "mad"....... I like it!:p

3. Kaz

Kaz Member

Hello Arjun, thats the second time I have heard that name, first time was 'Billy' Arjun Singh, of Tiger Haven fame... anyway, welcome to the MadHouse. Truth be known I reckon everyone here knows someone who calls them mad, for making paper models.
  4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Yes, just ask our wives - most of 'em will tell you we are quite insane.

5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

My wife doesnt thinkI am insane just wierd ;)

Welcome to the fold Arjun! Looking forward to seeing some of your work. Gonna post some pics for us?
  6. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Totally bonkers here - but the only things I'm a danger to are my own fingers. Welcome, welcome.
  7. Arjun

Arjun Member

Folks, I'm still a learner in these circles! I've uploaded five pictures, including my 3-D models, on the gallery. I'll need a folder where I can keep them. Can someone help here?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.