Amarr Apocalypse now

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by pupumonkey, Jul 14, 2008.

1. pupumonkey

pupumonkey Member

I finally finished the Apocalypse from Eve Online. It was the model that was posted on the Eve forums last year. I liked a lot about it but found some of the details lacking so I took a few liberties with the fabrication.

Maybe on to the Coercer next or maybe a short break.

We will see.

Attached Files:

2. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Wow ..... that is totally cool! The detail is freakin' awesome (not to mention what a huge ship). Nice work!
  3. pupumonkey

pupumonkey Member

4. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

A M A Z I N G!!!!! jawdrop

Fantastic Work!!!!
  5. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

PLEASE tell me you have a link for this ship! I want one so bad! It would look so sweet with lighting!! :mrgreen:
  6. pupumonkey

pupumonkey Member

I got it by digging around the Eve online forums. The guy who posted it also posted the Heron model I did.

It's anice ship, but I had a few issues with the construction.
  7. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

You've done an awesome job on that one, and just missed POTW submissions by one day, that woulda had my vote for sure... :D

Can you give a little more info about the issues you had with it, and what you may have added to it? I have this model in my collection but had no idea it was so big, did you upscale it at all?

This ship would indeed look good with lighting, I've always considered it to be one of the nicest looking ships in the game, a lot of my friends thought it was ugly and looked like a half built stretched death star... :rolleyes:

You can find the model here.

You can find a few more Eve models here and here.
  8. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Man! Did you see the cutting required on pages 18-20? :eek::eek: Excellent work! Thanks for the links also Jaffro.
  9. pupumonkey

pupumonkey Member

Thanks for the kind words. This was my third paper model since I started getting into this hobby in May, so I am glad to hear I am on the right track.

As to you questions about issues I had:

- The model consists of a lot of very large pieces that are prone to warping. There is also a tendency to have one end of the piece be, say 2mm longer than the other half and I found myself doing a lot of measuring to make sure I wasn't making irreversible mistakes.

- The nose cone pieces on page 1 and the cone that hang down from underneath are constructed in a way that it was extremely hard to manipulate them to get the look I wanted. If I did it all over again I might have sliced the nose up a little to give it a little more shape. It just felt too flat to me.

-The large scale of the model tends to make very small inaccuracies become huge issues the further down the kit you get. I found myself having to patch some areas because the large pieces sometimes did not fit the way one would expect and the errors end up being somewhat glaring.

- The cutting of the greebles on pages 18-20 wasn't so bad but I found during the dry fitting that they would likely cover up the majority of the detail work I had done on the middle sections. This led me to slice them up and randomize them somewhat so that the surface was exposed enough. I used toothpicks to mount them and to add a few extra rods in the center areas.

- I didn't do any scaling at all. If you print the model out and assemble it you get a 2.5 foot banana ship.

-I added paneling to the top of the ship and used Popsicle sticks to strengthen the length of the model.

That's about it.

Thanks again for all the support!
  10. sherban

sherban Member

You sure are on the right way. Thank you for shareing this build and for the tips. Your build is fantastic.