Alvin DSV

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by jparenti, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jparenti

jparenti Member

I've looked around for the Woods Hole DSV Alvin for some time, and am convinced it may not exist. I've got a couple good Japanese research subs that I haven't build yet, but I'd really like Alvin. :) Anyone know of a kit? (I've longed for a Trieste as well, but I may be dreaming too much. :roll:
    Just in case you need a picture...

Attached Files:

2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

'Alvin' Sub and 'Trieste' Batyscarphe

Yeah, those deep sea vessels holds a special fascination for me, too. I remember reading as a young boy about the bathyscaphe Trieste going down to that deep trench at more than 11,000 meters (7 miles) below sea level, without imploding.
    The Trieste shouldn´t be too difficult to model - check out the (clickable) exterior drawing at the bottom of this page:

It would certainly be worth a try and probably a first as a card model!

Bengt :D
  3. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

The "Make A Model" Titanic kit book (Chatham River Press, 1989) has a tiny little boxy Alvin that sits on the deck of the sunken bow section model. That's the only Alvin I've ever seen.

Scott K.
  4. jparenti

jparenti Member

Hmmm. I need to learn Rhino or something. It's getting so tempting to design these myself, and yet I have zero skills with any of the programs. I could use that exterior drawing of the Trieste for starters, and work my way through it.
    Alvin has a few more difficult angles, so myabe that would have to wait. :)
  5. maltedfalcon

maltedfalcon New Member

alvin model

currently working on Alvin now it comes right after cousteau's diving saucer.
    Matt's Card Models
  6. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Great site!
  7. jparenti

jparenti Member

Oh, this is what I'm waiting for! I also want the other sub models you've got (and I'm going to get that HAL model soon, too). :)
  8. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

I know that kit, The sail folds up and out of the deck...long time since I saw that one...ahh memories

John John
  9. hemingway

hemingway New Member

Attached Files:

10. jparenti

jparenti Member

I saw that one a while back. It was a foreign language site I couldn't read. I wonder how big it is...
  11. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

My wife would kill for the Disney sub.
  12. dhanners

dhanners Member

I, too, would love to see an Alvin. I work in Minneapolis, where the sub was born....

NULLMOON Member

hell yes i vote for Trieste or one of the MIR subs used in the titanic film(they are real) the only alvin ive seen was the weeny one that came with the The "Make A Model" Titanic kit book i had years ago
  14. bigbenn

bigbenn New Member

I saw a card kit of the Alvin for download here: Admin note - deleted link - pirate site. You will need to flip through the pages, backwards, to find it.
  15. bigbenn

bigbenn New Member

Better be specific:
    again - removed reference to pirate site. on Google, then Ostatni, e-books, then folded paper and glue then flip through the pages to Alvin and get the Rapidshare download link
  16. dhanners

dhanners Member

Is there a direct link? I'm trying to follow the directions, and it seems like there are over 300 pages of models to flip through....
  17. archangel1

archangel1 Member

deleted quote - pirate site link

I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about finding anything on that site - it looks like a major Pirate's Lair! :curse: Those appear to be all commercial kits that have been scanned and uploaded for sharing, and with over 300 pages of files, that's a large crew!

I tested it by downloading something in which I have absolutely no interest in building and, yup, it's all there - cover, ads, everything. Not nice!
  18. jparenti

jparenti Member

Do you know what page number it's on? (Lots of great models on that site, BTW. I found a couple freely available ones I've never seen before...)
  19. jparenti

jparenti Member

Hmmm. I don't think I saw that far. I was seeing ones I knew were freely available, and didn't realize that there were scanned models. If it's something not freely available, I'll keep off of it.
  20. archangel1

archangel1 Member

There are a lot of GPM, Betexa, WAK, ABC, etc on there, so they're not exactly 'free'! :cry:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.