Alternate Decal Fixative.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I like making my own decals from my ink jet printer.
The problem is I always run out of the spray fixative that comes with the decal kits, before the paper.
Is there an alternate inexpensive spray I can use? One that I don't have to order and wait a week to get?
Thanks!

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Krylon Matte Finish gives you 4-5 times the paint for alot less than Testor's Dulcote. Much easier to control and it doesn't fog or milk up that I've seen yet. I never thought of charcoal fixative, that might leave an even finer coating.

C

Catt

Geez,I was gonna suggest the Krylon and it totally slipped between the braincells. Darn it there goes my know it all status. :D

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Catt! said:
Geez,I was gonna suggest the Krylon and it totally slipped between the braincells. Darn it there goes my know it all status. :D

That's alright, we'll keep a place here on the park bench clear for you...never know when your game'll come back to ya. :thumb: :D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Geez,I was gonna suggest the Krylon and it totally slipped between the braincells. Darn it there goes my know it all status.

Yo! Catt!, When that happens to me, I go out for a couple o' scotches......kills a few o' dem upstart braincells....the rest get the message, and don't let things slip by................................................for a few seconds! :D :D :D

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
I think there ought to be a law that you have to supply the location of a recommended product. So do I go to Southern States or the Dish Barn or what? It surely would be helpful.

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
Well both. This was just a general observation of incomplete information. When we talk I think we should elaborate and disclose the source of a product. I would imagine that a lot of times a reader is unfamiliar with the product. Sometimes we do, most times we don't.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Sorry....My bad.(Just e-mailed you Xavier)
I was thinking more the coating you spray on the decal sheet. $10.00 American for the spray from Vita-Cal..Wheww. And to spend $30.00 for a whole 'nother kit!, just to get the spray.
My fault...Should of been more specific.....
I'll punish myself...Where'd I put that big hammer?.......

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
XavierJ123 said:
Well both. This was just a general observation of incomplete information. When we talk I think we should elaborate and disclose the source of a product. I would imagine that a lot of times a reader is unfamiliar with the product. Sometimes we do, most times we don't.
You are right, frequently we assume that the other party knows just where to buy the product since it might be common knowedge in the area they are from. Take the Krylon for example, you can find it in most Home Depots, Lowe's, Michael's, Ace Hardware or most other home center or art supply store. But I have seen others here mention stores that are totally unfamiliar to me, so like I said, it depends on where you are, where you can find whatever it is they are talking about. :wave::wave: If you don't know, ask and someone familiar with your area can respond.

So, what area are you located in?:D:D

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
XavierJ123 said:

Actually we have modellers from all over the world here on the Gauge, and saying where you got it may not mean anything if for example you're in Portugal and your reader is in Australia.

What I do when I'm unfamiliar with a product is hit Google.com and do a search. Then I look in the good old Yellow Pages and phone around until I find a local supplier.

This is not to say that people can't elaborate on where they purchased things if they want to. But no one should feel they have to - we're not an information service - just a bunch of people who like model railroads and like to talk about them. :) :)

Val

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Xavier,
I think we should elaborate and disclose the source of a product. I would imagine that a lot of times a reader is unfamiliar with the product.
Since I'm living in Switzerland, oftentimes I stand out in the rain when somebody mentions a product which you can buy at Walmart etc etc. (No, there ain't no Walmarts here in Switzerland - not yet! :D )
And concerning this thread I just found out that I even can't buy Krylon spray over here! :(

But perhaps it would help when you add your location below your avatar or member name!

See, I wouldn't recommend a product to someone which is living in a place where you can't get that stuff. But when I don't know where he/she is living, I assume that he might be my neighbor just down the next block. And in this case I might give him/her an advice which doesn't help at all.

(On the other side - we are such an international bunch that just the same somebody will have a profit from those 'misguided' answers. :thumb: )

Ron

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Gee wiz Ron, how do you get through the day without a Wal-Mart around the corner?:D:D

That's my point, if you don't know where a person is living, it's tough to tell them where to get something, and even then, you may not know about any stores they have in their country. As Val says, do a Google search until you find what you're looking for. Go to a store and ask, make a few phone calls. I remember the first time I was looking for extruded foam, I had a devil of a time finding it in the Phoenix area. Lots of phone calls and store visits before I found it, even though some here said they could get it at their Home Depot, ours didn't carry it. They do now, but not then.

People here are aways willing to go that extra mile to help if they can.:thumb::thumb: