Altering A Kit To Fit A Space

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
This might be a rerun for some of you, but I thought I'd show how this kitbash was dictated by the shape, & size of the available space.
I started with a 2-track spur, a main line going to the rear, & an exit hole in the backdrop that needed to be hidden.
I used pieces of cardboard for a base.

Attachments

• lf1.jpg
    lf1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 283

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I decided to pve over the tracks, with spackling, & started test fitting pieces I cut to fit from a Walthers Superior Paper kit.

Attachments

• lf2.jpg
    lf2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 285

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I needed something to bring the two seperate buildings together...the answer came in the form of some pieces from a Walthers coal mine kit...
With some roof details, here's what I ended up with...
I named it Leigh Foods after one of my daughters, who's in culinary school.

Attachments

• lf5.jpg
    lf5.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 246
C

Catt

Charlie,would you mind if I put this into the How To section on the NARA site?

CarlFidy

Jun 17, 2002
Owasso, OK
Visit site
Charlie,

Great looking solution to the problem!!!:cool: :D I'm going to have to do the same thing - hiding an exit - several times on the layout I'm planning.

It's nice to see the work in progress photos.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks for all the kind words!
Catt,
If you ever see something of mine you'd like for the NARA site, you don't need to ask...you're more than welcome to it!

C

Catt

Thanks Charlie.I'll get you uploaded to NARA this next week.:D :D Any other NARA members if you have a neat idea write it up photo it up and let me know about it. We have a How I did it section on the site.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Charlie,
I just noticed this thread today. Thanks for the multi-pic "how to" series above. I like the look of the building; very industrial, gritty, and interesting with the connecting piece that differs from the other sections. It looks like many I've seen in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
Ralph