Almost ready to run a train

WildCatxxx

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Great pictures, Wildcat. Looks like a fun layout! :D

One question: What is that wooden framework you have in some of the pictures?

Edit: Duh! :eek:ops: :eek:ops: I should just read your post before replying! LOL. I was just so eager to see the photos. :)

Allstate81140

Feb 19, 2004
Visalia, CA.
Visit site
Hi all. WC, great pictures. I was sure I saw Mount Rushmore in the first set. Very realistic. A long way from the days when I used screen and plaster.

By the way, what do you guys/ladies (if there are any ladies on here) use to make mountains now? Been years since I made them.

The pictures remind me of a place between what are called Bakersfield, and Barstow California. I have to stop everytime I go by there just because of the fascination with the trains. They go in and out of the mountains, and it is fabulous. Especially when I look at those entrances and realize some have been there over 100 years. Very neat to watch those trains pouring on the coal (figure of speech) up the grades really laboring with all those cars on there.

What fascinates me just as much is how they can pull 75 to 100 cars and have some of the lighter cars toward the front. You would think it would derail on curves.

Just some thoughts and memories. Night all. Jack.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
VERY nice work, WC!! :thumb:
Your scenery & structures look fantastic! :cool:
I especially like that curved trestle! :eek: :thumb:
Do you find it difficult to wire the layout after building the scenery?

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Wow! That is a fantastic looking layout! How did you make your mountains? I have lots of mountains to model too, and what ever you did to make them looks good! Maybe I could use your tecnique! I really like the curved trestle too, it reminds me of the ones out in the Kettle Valley in Kelowna. How long have you been working on this layout?

CN1

May 6, 2003
Great pics :thumb: :thumb: Very nicely done WildCatxxx :wave:

For mountains I use Styrofoam, the pink and blue stuff from H.D. carved to the desired shape. Sometimes I add a coat of plaster if I want to carve rocks and the like. :)

WildCatxxx might have is own technique since there's many ways to do a mountain. :D

WildCatxxx

Charlie said:
VERY nice work, WC!! :thumb:
Your scenery & structures look fantastic! :cool:
I especially like that curved trestle! :eek: :thumb:
Do you find it difficult to wire the layout after building the scenery?

I did solder wires to the track when putting the track down. The wires go thru holes beneath the track and I only need to hang and attach the main power wire. Shouldn't be very difficult.

WildCatxxx

SD90 said:
Wow! That is a fantastic looking layout! How did you make your mountains? I have lots of mountains to model too, and what ever you did to make them looks good! Maybe I could use your tecnique! I really like the curved trestle too, it reminds me of the ones out in the Kettle Valley in Kelowna. How long have you been working on this layout?

I am trying to model the area called the Kettle Valley in British Columbia. (Burned last year in a forest fire, trestles and all, which they will re-build) I live in Calgary and travel to Vancouver to visit my parents. That 10- 12 hour trip through the mountains is where I got the mountain idea. I used foam insulation as the base of everything and carved some shape, then applied paper towels wetted with a polly filla /water mixture (like plaster but probably lighter). Next I made rocks using Woodland Scenics molds and polly filla. When dried I used polly to glue them on and painted them with W.S. earth colors. Sprinkle on some W.S. "grass", etc. using hairspray to glue it on. Buy a few hundred (probably need more) trees and glue them in drilled holes.Then try to keep the dog hair (my Husky) off of it. Almost ready to wire it up and buy some C.P railcars. Have one diesel loco with a second engine unit that I'll have to put decoders in. Then hope it works. Been at it for two years but don't do a lot during any week.