Alligator Search

David Rosser

I need some help! I am trying to get a good selection of Alco locos on my layout and have hit a problem. I can't seem to find any examples of the "Alligator" or "Notch Nose" Alcos in the listings on EBay. Can anyone tell me if there are any such HO models, and if so, who produced them? I may be looking under the wrong maker or wrong title, or (I Hope not)there may not be any such models available. Any and all help/ideas are appreciated. Dave

Russ Bellinis

I don't think the alligator has ever been available in ho in plastic. You will probably have to find a brass model to have one.

Gary Pfeil

I may be remembering wrong, but I think Tiger Valley made a shell for these locos. I remember someone at a club I belonged to had one lettered for Lehigh Valley.

Gary

Blake

Tiger Valley hinted that they might do an Alligator but never did. The other designations for this loco would be RSD-15 or DL600B. At one time AC Gilbert (American Flyer) made these units. Some were also made in brass.

Russ Bellinis

Interestingly, I picked up the Feb. Model Railroader at my local hobby shop about an hour ago. In the editorial right past the table of contents Terry Thompson listed the top five results of the survey MR did for locomotives modelers would like to see manufactured. #1 was the U.P. three-unit gas turbin electric. My friend said Lionel is coming out with the gas turbine. #2 was Santa Fe 3751 4-8-4 northern. Broadway Limited lists the 3751 as an offering in their latest catalog. #3 Alco RSD-15 low nose. He said both high and low nose were requested, but the low nose had the most requests. Along the same vein, I noticed three new Atlas baby trainmasters in the locomotive case. I have a couple of Bachmann Spectrum baby trainmasters. Why is it necessary for two or three manufacturers to make the same model, while other models we would like to have are not built by anyone?

David Rosser

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to try Plan B...... I bought a Model Power RS-11 on E-Bay. As soon as it gets here I will start the cutting/rebuilding. Most of the pictures I have seem to indicate little difference from the cab on back between an Alligator and an RS-11. The Model Power unit is cheap, not great detail, but there is no heavy cast frame up high in the front or back, and only the light must be repositioned. The front hood can be chopped and channeled to get the correct heigth, odd bits filled in or moved and a new front face for the cab with light, # boards and winshield can be built. To use the old phrase, it is a good 4 foot model (it looks okay if you stay 4 feet from it) but I will have a fair copy of an alligator at just a bit below a brass one in cost. Will let you know how it works out. Dave