All the Youth talk is it true?

23 here. But I dont really model because of lack of space. And plus I rather spend my time detailing and customizing a locomotive. I just pretty much collect locomotives. I dont belong to anymore clubs because I just recently moved to a new town. But once I find an N Scale club here, I will try to join and stuff. Im working and going to college so that someday I can have a house and build a layout.

John P

Feel'n Young

I'm 40, no kids, understanding wife, nice size basement, a 44 hour/wk job, every weekend off-I can't complain-but I still do:wave: .

C

Catt

I'm 62 and just became a great grandpa.The biggest problem I see with our hobby is the number of us older guys that don't want to be bothered by this younger generation when they are asking questions about the hobby.I guess they forget that we aren't born with all the answers.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
That's why the young people should come to The Gauge- All the answers from all the people all the time!!

BKlein

I will be 32 in June and my dad got me into trains and I hope to get my 1 month old into them also. Funny story my cousins kid whos 4 is really into Thomas and they bought a train set to go under the tree for Christmas he would sit and watch the train go for hours they had to threaten to put the train away so he would come and eat dinner. So I think hes hooked sign1

jetrock

I'm 38. Personally I think there will be a new generation of model railroaders coming along since trains are once again playing a more prominent role in American life, both in carrying cargo and people. Model railroading appeared when trains were *the* way to get place to place: people primarily modeled what was then the current day, and this wasn't solely a "nostalgia" hobby.

I don't have kids, but I do a lot of "train ambassador" duty to my friends' kids and nephews, and I have at least one friend who is getting into trains as a father & son activity. I see lots of parents about my age with kids at the railroad museum, and it's hard to tell who is having the better time.

Sure, kids are into high-tech gadgets, but when were kids not into high-tech gadgets? It all depends on what is high-tech when you're a kid: A crystal radio set? A cellular phone? A spiffy Lionel electric train? A spiffy Atlas RTR DCC locomotive with working lights and sound? Sure, the kid with the cell phone doesn't learn as much about how to build things as the kid who built his own crystal radio set, but there are lots of things you can do with the cell phone that simply weren't possible in crystal radio set days.

Model railroads ARE high-tech gadgets, and always have been. Model railroading has survived the coming of slot cars, the waning of trains from American life, and the passing of several generations. As long as there are trains, there will be toy trains, model railroads, and young kids of all ages who want to play with them.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Sure, kids are into high-tech gadgets, but when were kids not into high-tech gadgets? It all depends on what is high-tech when you're a kid: A crystal radio set? A cellular phone? A spiffy Lionel electric train? A spiffy Atlas RTR DCC locomotive with working lights and sound? Sure, the kid with the cell phone doesn't learn as much about how to build things as the kid who built his own crystal radio set, but there are lots of things you can do with the cell phone that simply weren't possible in crystal radio set days.

Model railroads ARE high-tech gadgets, and always have been. Model railroading has survived the coming of slot cars, the waning of trains from American life, and the passing of several generations. As long as there are trains, there will be toy trains, model railroads, and young kids of all ages who want to play with them
so....so....beautiful....,very well put jetrock,couldnt have said it better myself :D --josh