All the Youth talk is it true?

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
I have seen more articles in the past few weeks than I care to think of about trains and youth. They say the old timers are about to kick the bucket and then there will be no more train market. The big question is where is the youth?

I don’t consider myself in either the old or youth bracket. I’m brave enough to say I will be 48 in a few days on March 9. I have two daughters one a 14 with no interest in anything that is fun like trains. My other daughter at age 10 is the number one reason I got back into the hobby she is 100% trains. I have no clue why she likes trains but she does.

Well since I’m in the middle bracket the train guys should get at least another 20 years of my dollars to fund this hobby. That is a large market in terms of years for any product. Chances are my daughter will remain a prospective train buyer for the next 50 years.

So now I will ask everyone to step up so we can get an average age here on the gauge. I really don’t know what the average age will be but for some reason I’m betting it will be under 30. In any event I doubt it will be over the age of 50.

[FONT=&quot]So stand up and lets us know your age so we can do an unscientific study of the member’s ages. I just want to see if this is MFG HYPE to try and build a future market way into the future and not around the corner like they want us to believe.[/FONT]

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Forty years behind Lynn...!

For what it is worth, the prevailing theory/explanation seems to lump people in different age ranges, for example:

under 16 - lots of free time and enthusiasm, but no money
16 - 30 - competing interests for both time (school, relationships, etc) and money (also school, car, first home)
30 - 50 - more money, but possibly even less free time (kids...!)
50 - retirement - more time and money
Retirement plus - less money, but more time

So you get a lot of people who were interested as kids starting to tinker again with the hobby as the kids get older and jobs pay more, but who might not really be back until kids are out of the house, and enough time becomes available again.

That's maybe why the active participants seem to have a higher average age, but I think you'll find the interest cuts across all ages. The fact that the "30 - 50" (as I grouped it) is flying just below the radar always seems to cause this kind of oh-my-it's-the-end-of-model-railroading-as-we-know-it panic...

Andrew

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
34 years old here. My daughters are wondering when they are actually see some trains start running. They don't understand that I have to build the bench work before I lay the track. Soon...very soon...

Alan Bickley

Dec 22, 2003
Bicester, Oxford, UK
Visit site
I hit the big 3-0 a couple of months back!
I'm always trying to find time to do my modelling, but I have had to sacrifice a few model exhibition visits as I'm getting married in the summer, and have to save as much money as possible.
Still, with all the unfinished projects that I have purchased over recent years, I reckon it will be a good time to complete those before getting back into the swing of things!!!

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
47 good years, give or take one or two.

I think another thing that keeps the younger generation away is all the new high-tech toys and gadgets out there, including video games and such. Seems that model railroading would be "too much like work" for the majority of youngsters and the " I want it and I want it NOW" generation.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
I'm in the same boat as scubadude only my body will be 38 in a couple weeks.
I think that would make my brain about 12 or so. :D

edit: And I find it funny that they are talking about trains loosing the market when Lionel has been gaining the last couple of years. You have kids getting into the Harry Potter, Polar Express, and the Thomas sets. It's geting a youner generation into trains again.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
44,i dont like to say it much as my sons age jokes are getting old.but more freetime and money = MORE TRAINS!!LOL.as for kids,as long as there are trains there will be people who model them.--josh

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm 47, but my interest in trains didn't rekindle until I was 43 or 44. I was into model trains a lot as a child and that partly got me back into it as a middle-aged adult.

My theory is that there are (and will be) quite a few folks like me. That is, people who were into trains as a kid, have a kind of railway heritage as I do (my Dad was a huge train fan), who get back into the hobby when they're older.

I agree others on this forum who say that those in their 20s are often too busy at university or with other interests, but find time for the hobby again once they're more settled in life -- which is my story again.

Rob

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
48 here - - little money :( :(
I find that the mortgage company does NOT want to hear you bought a new engine instead of paying them :D :D

I started as a kid loving to watch trains.... Grew? out of them - got back into them after I got a job (to pay for the trains) in 82 - Been there ever since :) ......... 25 years in May :) :)

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
The body of a 43 year old wrapped around the mind of an 18 year old. But I've been interested in trains as a hobby since I was 15.

(8 out of 10 voices in my head tell me to buy more diesels...is that a problem?)