All the Enterprises

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by OylPslyk, Jul 23, 2006.

1. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I've used an alternate technique to simulate lighting in starships without actually running wires:

Silver reflective tape. Cut into small squares for each window- it gives a decent effect.

Of course, you cant beat good old LED's... :)

I'd beware of spraypainting the inside black or silver without first sealing it with a colorless primer- bleedthrough can be a real pain. Generally I'll hit it with a few coats of clear sealant first, then the color mask.
  2. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

Thanks for all the input on lighting, I guess Ill have to make a trip to radio shack b4 finalizin this one!!:grin:

Hopefully though this one will be the only 1 that will call for led's though, fiber optics is much much easier when it comes to paper media!

Ive got a few more detail pieces I'm gonna test out then I'll really start clicking away at a cadded part set !!wont be long now!!

heres the latest, next to the old prototype to show the new scale.
  3. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Sweet jeebus the E is gonna be huge.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Hi ho ...

Posting more stuff I have found online.

Here is another model [Sorry it's not paper]

The color scheme is pretty vibrant... too bad people are more associated with the washed out broadcast version.
  7. OylPslyk

very nice!

to bad the price tag is soooo high...:)
  8. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yeah and it's just a standard model with lighting. =\

One of the fellas on our SciFi mesh forums scratch built an Enterprise E and made fibreglass molds of it.

It's already sold out hehe.

Here is the thread of the build. You may not be able to see any pictures unless you are a member.
  9. OylPslyk

HeHee, mebbe I should switch my medium, becaus I'm seein dollar signs now! mwaahaahaa<-evul laugh
  10. OylPslyk

Getting closer....maybe

I've been splitting my time a lot lately finishing a lot of other models off so progress has slowed a bit, but I'm sill this dang spaceships B*** it seeme:grin: lol

Ive almost finished parting out everything but every time i turn around lately it seems there's something else I've either overlooked or should address in a new way:confused:

nevertheless I cant wait to see how this is gonna turn out! Ive test built a few detail inserts from different parts of the ship to try out some paint schemes, but I still havent found just the right gradients yet, and this keeps taking up toooo much time for right now so Im gonna just wait on coloring a bit longer.

Aaaaah well back to the grindstone!
  11. OylPslyk

Ok. Ive maneaged to clear out and finish all my half-started projects and now have room in my workshop to spread this thing out a lil more- finally!

anyway now I can turn my (full) attention back to the E, but the slowdown actually really helped me to get a fresh perspective on it and work a few things out in my head!!:grin:

as far as progress goes i'm really almost finished, but cleaning things up and turning my notes and drawings into parts sheets will take a lil while but once thats finished it will just leave painting the thing left.
    as far as painting goes does anyone have an opinion on whether the final draft should have a factory finish - or maybe look better with some weathering?

oh well, thats all for now!
  12. panzer

panzer Member

first of all: You're doing a great job! It looks unbelievable how you get the complex curvatures.

Weathering not seems to be a good idea to me. There is no kind of weather in space, and the Federation Ships are equipped with deflectors, so weathering wouldn't make any sense to me. But I must say, I'm a fan of "clean" models.

If you want do do something like this, what about a little phasor damage?
  13. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Clean. Most definately.
  14. OylPslyk

ok, thanks, clean it will be then!

I have someone building the new beta2.0 now so it wont be much longer!!!
    I cant wait to see it myself!
  15. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Just thought someone ought to play devils advocate, A lot of weathering is sun damage and I can't help but think that a ship in outer space (no shielding protection of an atmosphere)gets hit by some pretty strong blasts of radiation and that no matter how good the paint it's gonna fade.
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Good point willja.
    What about small debris encountered during those high speed journey's over great distances?

17. OylPslyk

Impact (or battle) damage was my working theory for a weathered version, but since I first need to get a pristine version before any weathering can occur I suppose we will be safe on either side of the coin 8)
  18. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Not to nitpick further and betray my... errrr... Trekkieness, but-

The deflector array takes care of all particle hits during subspace travel. That's it's purpose.

At warp speeds, if you hit anything, you're dead.

So, barring the above mentioned radiation, impacts (other than battle damage) are not going to be an issue; therefore the "paint" would stay pristine. So I'm still gonna argue for clean rather than weathered.

Not to say that nicely shaded would be a bad thing...
  19. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yeah ekuth is right... however the deflector only applies to speeds above sublight. After a while sitting around in space though, eventually you attract some 'road grime'. :)
  20. OylPslyk

actually, just this sort of "trek-tech" is just what I hoped to incite:twisted:

how I figgur it is that the shields arent always used, and even so (just cuz u use a car cover doesnt mean you never need to wash your car!!! heehee)

another point is that (using just the motion pictures as examples) you hardly ever saw a pristine spacecraft other than just for the initial few moments of its voyage so there's lots of options to consider!

btw: did anyone see the trek offerings up for auction by paramount at christie's??
    if I were a rich man I probably woulda gone broke there!:grin: