All the Enterprises

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by OylPslyk, Jul 23, 2006.

1. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

Time, time, time,,,keeps on tickin...

I decided this has been draggin on just too long so I Cad'd this sucker out today.

I was going to use 3dstudio and just do the whole thing that way... but then i found i had even more problems!

thanks to a former employer i actually own a copy of 3dsmax-but today i found that the disc it was on is just not just scratched to hell, it is CRACKED too!!!!!!:cry: :cry: :cry:

unfortunately it was liscensed to previously mentioned boss:mad: and not me so getting a replacement disc is out, boo-hoo!

I've never really done much 3d work anyway so it would have been trial and error anyway, still sucks to loose it though!

oh well, anyway I may post a peek at the wireframe later today since i can do a better job of coloring it now!:twisted: :grin:
  2. OylPslyk

A lil closer...

its quittin time for now, but got a LOT done today!

and a lil coloring work too

Attached Files:

3. OylPslyk

Quick update...

Not much new to report... I was called out of town this week, family surgery...

back at it now though and I'll update with pics of the new prototype build soon!:)
  4. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

why don't you take the graphics from the great photo of the ship from post #82 of this thread and overlay the model with those graphics???
  5. OylPslyk

do you mean the "aztec" pattern? I've done my best to replicate everything else so far. My plan was to not add the aztec-or waffle pattern till a little later on a more tested design.
  6. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

the colored model with all the plating, the bmp was a solid grey and I felt it looked a little too cartoonish. and the coloring should be done last, avoid doing it several times.

On post 82 on page 9 of this thread were some color images of the NX01, with all the plating very visible, it should be a resonable process to lift these graphics off of the image and overlay them onto the model.
  7. OylPslyk

yes, actually the b/w photos are of the same image...
    but I am trying to replicate those images-without actually copying them...

once I have a finished parts scheme I will do a complete "artistic overhaul"

Im still not sure what level of detail will be left off of actual parting and/or just graphic overlay, but as to the "cartoonish" yes i agree:) thats why its just prelim8), I also plan to offer an alternate color scheme of the alternate universe version from the "In a Mirror, Darkly" episode from the last season...

On another note though; if yourself or anyone else is interested perhaps there could be a "painters" challenge once the model is finished??
    I did like the effect you used on the beta sheet earlier!
    But we'll see when the time comes, I promise I'll try not to dissapoint!
  8. OylPslyk

So it begins...

I've decided to work "backwards" from the way I did it last time, I'm begining with the nacelles and just about to start cutting, next update will include pics of the new test build!

so far just 1 nacelle is 1-1/2 pages of parts! things are looking good so far!
  9. OylPslyk

Forward part looks great! went together just as I hoped without any surprises... the rest is a different story...I had warping problems with the "main tube" so having to rework it a lil...

I guess size is hard to guess from these, but this forward assembly is about the size of a thumb all the way down to the palm...
  10. OylPslyk

Finished the Nacelle, and now I'm getting antsy bout seeing the rest of it finally done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and finally next to mr caudillo's 1701 for reference
  11. OylPslyk

I should let you know that I'm fond of using fiber optic lighting in my space models... I also have plans to include this is later enterprises...

...BUT.. in the nx all lights (portholes, running lights...etc.) are all so large that LED's would need to be used as well as a screen for the windows, but this approach also seems to require hull panels be increased to .5mm card-(my tests show there is too much light bleeding through the hull itself with 110# cardstock)

if anyone interested in actually building with this mod I will keep working on it, if not I will leave it off my plans for now. and just retrofit mine later...

let me know what you think!:)
  12. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Have you tried printing the back of the hull pages to increase opacity?
  13. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Why not spray paint the back in silver or stick aluminium foil to the back?
  14. OylPslyk

good ideas...
    i found another one since this morning though, putting the bulb in a lil tube like a cannon&ball. i also lowered the voltage a lil too, heh it dont need to be a dang flashlight!!!:grin:

I am still interested if anyone would actually build with the lights though.
  15. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Yep me I love putting led's in stuff, I am toying with the idea of using SMT LED's and running fine coil wire to them, then using a future or something similer I could make a convincing shaped wing tip light. Mind you soldering onto SMT led's is dam fiddly but can be done.
  16. OylPslyk

over the last couple of days I've maneaged to part out most of the saucer, and man has it been a pain deciding where to split up some of the outer rings...they just wont fit on letter size paper!! I'm trying to keep them down to as few separate parts as possible for just now so its a bother, but not really a problem just yet, besides when i transfer them into cad later it will make spliting them up and manipulating them to fit pages will be a lot easier...:)

I still haven't decided on a final plan of attack for the inner structure yet, I wont cement that pair o boots till I've come to a final decision on the lighting. So I'm just gonna "shell out" the rest of the test build... I'll probably glue it together tomorrow morning to see how things look. and I'll post a few new pics then!!
  17. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

You could break them up to go together on the internal formers like a paper ship model's hull parts. Perhaps splitting the saucer into quadrants.
  18. damraska

damraska Member

I completely agree with this strategy.

19. OylPslyk

the model will be broken up in more pieces... this test was mainly done to check my math (still hand drawing)... and luckily everything came out golden. 8) :twisted:

I was mainly concerned about keeping it to as few pieces as possible, because margin of error increases with each subsequent piece... biggest concern was the fact that my protractor doesnt have hash marks for .73, or .38 etc.:cry:

thanks for the ideas though

ill post a pic of the test later
  20. Dnlgtr

Dnlgtr Member

I like the idea of putting lights in my models.

Especially Trek ships!!
    I have been adding them to the AMT & Revell kits lately..

The idea of painting the inside of the hull silver is good. But it might be a good idea to paint it black first. I had that problem on the other models.

The big problem here will be getting a good light seal at joints. You should assemble as much of the model as posible, then paint the inside to seal the joints, the paint the reflective silver, add the lights, finish wiring and close the assembly.

If it would help I can try to get pictures of the plastic models I have done this with.