All the Enterprises

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by OylPslyk, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks for that sheet although that's the one equation that I managed to figure out on my own. Before I got Rhino I did it by hand myself (In acad with no unrolling feature) though much less precisely than you seem to do it. In my F2G Corsair gallery there are some pics of a white Corsair, it took me almost one year exactly of test build tweak test build tweak and on and on and on to get to that point and there were still problems. So when I gush about how impressed I am I've been there done that and know how difficult it is.
  2. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

wow, thanks for the praise. :)

i know how u feel about test-refine, test-refine...............

i just went back to the textbooks basically, and old 1st year college textbook on technical drafting, and also a VERY old textbook from my fathers college days on mathmatical tables and formula, i couldnt have done it without them...

im JUST barely old enough that when i was taking my begining design courses they still required a rudimentary course in hand drafting...(plus all those years wasting away time doodling in high school! :twisted: )

all i can say is just take a peek at a few textbooks the next time your near a library or bookstore!
  3. OylPslyk

Back in the swing

Ok im back at work now after a much needed break, and I'm curious if any of you have any opinions on, or have even taken a stab at assembling my NX yourself?

after a week without spending every spare minute on this thing Im ready to re-attack it with a fresh look, and im going to start refining a few parts and working out some more complex curves before I start laying down and painting a more final version.

if anyone has done any assembling i would love to see some pics,
    or hear some gripes (hope not!:) )

either way there will be great results posted soon, hopefully by more than me!

P.S. on a side note, i've decided to shelve the cutaway project for now, at least untill ive maneaged to get a couple more under my belt... but thanks for the input on the subject though...
  4. OylPslyk

MUCH better:)

Here's a new version, only minimaly altered as yet, but its in color and all in one easy download so have fun!

feel free to change the color scheme
  5. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

well you've piqued my curiousity I'll tell you. I took a dander at recoloring:

look for suggestions/criticisms
  6. OylPslyk

that looks very nice!:cool:

i just used some quick floodfills to pretty it up, and i think it turned out rather dark now that ive seen a full build.

but on a sadder note, the demise of this version is at hand...:(

I've gotten a lot of good feedback so far, and ive come to the realization that ive been basing a lot of the detail work (expecially the underside of the saucer) on a series of built up layers. While this did a good job of creating the effects I was going for it also did something that REALLY turns me off in a good paper model- it created MANY exposed edges that would need hand-coloring after the fact... and we all know how cut edges just drink up ink and paints, or markers, and bleed.

Considering this, and other bullet points ive gotten from several e-mails, and from a couple of friends jumping in to help me out and building a couple revised beta's, ive gotten a really good picture of both what ive left out, and what ive "fudged" for creative purposes,

seeing this ive decided to go to a whole new design, and also bumping it up in size by about 40% or so.

now that ive gotten used to working on paper again this shouldnt really be too much of a setback though, I believe i can use about half of my notes and just scale things up from where they are now- we'll see.

either way i hope to be able to have enough worked out and parted to try a new build by next weekend. So if anyone has any ideas about what is missing, or doesnt need to be there based on what you've seen so far let me know your ideas. (if you dont want to appear TOO nosy just e-mail me, ive gotten a lot of good ones so far).:)
  7. OylPslyk

oops, wrong button!
  8. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Do you mean that your scrapping or shelving NX for now and going for the next or are you just redesigning the whole thing?
  9. OylPslyk

no no, just er.. revamping, rescaling, and redesigning..

im definately still crackin at it! lol, quittin's fer quitters:lol:

also, im actually enjoying doin this by hand, but the next edition you'll see will be CAD drawn, im tired of fighting with my scanner!
  10. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I would't worry about this. the first thing I would do is allow the color to "bleed" into the tab area, the best example I have of how to do this is on the 1:480 lut model here:

note the glue tabs on the tower.

coloring edges is part of the job otherwise. never leave an exposed edge.

and on this model with all the 'plating' the edges will be fine so long as they are not white, I repeat: SAY NO TO CRACK!!!
  11. OylPslyk

that is true-but all the plating is also what is prompting the upscale, im still making new measurements but havent decided on a new final scale yet.

there were just SO MANY edges, and coloring edges is personally my biggest pet peeve about cardmodels, even though i know it is necesary sometimes...

im scaling the model to about 1/500, maybe even 450, and this jump should allow me to eliminate almost all of the exposed edges.

on the downside it means all the even smaller details i was either going to go simple and skimp on, or just use graphics to show, are going to require a LOT more design werk...

At least I have time for it now that the kid is back in school!
  12. OylPslyk

One more quick note

just to clarify this revision is also to correct currently improperly interpreted areas and fix other just plain goofs, ive gotten some really good emails about design tips. until now its been really hard to find good refrences

also i finally have a better set of references to work from - i photoshop'd these from some high res studio pics (getting rid of all the dang shadows was an enormous pain in the butt:razz: ...
    you can check them out here

either way the new revision will be something i can be much prouder of
  13. OylPslyk

I'm thouroughly convinced, bigger is better

I should have done this from the start, but I was trying to keep this one smaller for a better looking fit with the later to come models...

the new design has a 10" saucer, and ive finished a dorsal view plan sheet, all the little parts and details that i hadnt yet added to the previous version are looking MUCH better and will also be a good bit easier to work with,

Much of the sharper corners and edges are also eliminated now too :) they were really concerning me earlier.

I hope to have finished ventral and elvation sketches by the end of the weekend, and ill post a lil preview of them then!
  14. OylPslyk

does anyone here know anything about this ship design?

ive come across one of those little things that just bug the crap out of you...

on the underside of the saucer the outer edge is flat, after the groove it then begins its slope downward at point 1, see image

now after closer inspection it seems the entire area is concave and the next section of saucer doesnt begin untill point 2...

as I still havent found any good pov shots to work from I was wondering if anyone has a better clue as to whats going on here maybe?
    it just seems plain stupid to create a spaceship design that keeps "eating away" at usable space.... especially in a place where it would make traversing to whatever rooms or space is there difficult at best... but thats all just make-believe anyway

I'd rather get it right than make another guess.....................
  15. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

16. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I pull a section from a 3D model of excellent quality.

The guy who did it was helped by a couple of artists that worked on the show so I can bet that it's pretty close to accuracy.

17. OylPslyk

Many thanks, i was working on the assumption the entire outer rim was horizonal.

this clears things up nicely
  18. OylPslyk

Sneek peek

layout's almost done, and looking good to, from plan view its hard to tell its config'd for paper parts:twisted: , especially with the graphic details included.

this ones about 85%, hopefully I will finish tomorrow-I ACTUALLY HAVE TO GO TO STORE FOR PENCIL LEADS AND COMPASS POINTS!!! never needed a trip just for that b4!
  19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

OK Mr Oilslick, you are really peaking my interest in this model now.
    Up until now, I have kept my mouth shut and have just been watching the progress.
    I sure wish I had something more to contribute besides my banter.
    As a big Star Trek fan of the old days, I commend your efforts toward realism!
    I cannot wait till you are done with this ship and I cannot wait to build it!

Give me all you've got Scotty! Throw some more Dilithium Crystals in there!
    Warp factor 7! Now Scotty, now!
  20. silverw

silverw Member

Hello Oilslick...
    I have never been much of a "trekky" fan, but I agree with what Russell says...
    You are doing a trerrific job here, ... please keep at it!
    You may have steered my intrest into another , unthought-of direction

Isn't paper modelling just the GREATEST hobby!!!?