All the Enterprises

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by OylPslyk, Jul 23, 2006.

1. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

edited 8/16

Currently im developing a detailed set of "All the Enterprises"

there is a preview version (redesign is in progress) of the first model, the NX class, on page 7, post #64
  2. rwguess

rwguess Member

bring it on i await your model offering with gleeful delight

NO SIZE IS TO BIG is my motto

i do ask though to consider making the captains yacht for each enterprise as well... just a humble suggestion

thanks for your work

3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

4. OylPslyk

thanks, but thats not what i meant...

im still in design phase, and almost finished with D, and about 60% done with the NX and B models.

so far my scales are D=1/900, NX=1/700, and B=1/650-but thats just for the drawing board, (yes you heard right, DRAWING BOARD, im goin old school for this one)

i originally planned on about a 1/700 scale but am now wary, because the D, and E models will each be over 3' long. most people prefer smaller models.

Q- Would it be better to assemble the set with each model scaled to similar sizes? or should i keep with current plans and just shrink the first 4 models-which will mean losing much of the details that originaly spurned me on this quest.

anyway thanks for any input
  5. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Maybe you ought to enlist the aid of Texman (or other insane members of the microscale club whose names are lost in the fog of my greymatter) and find out how scaling affects detail and design the models so they can be built big with lots of detail with have parts that can be eliminated so the models can be built smaller.

If you can really pull off designing these models on a drafting board and do a good job on them, then my hat's off to you. I've done that and know how hard it is.

I along with the rest of the trekkies will be waiting very anxiously for your releases. Live long and prosper.
  6. OylPslyk

Too true, ive realized how much math i've forgotten by using a 'puter...

-lol, to quote an old friend- "OUCH IT HURTS!!!, the MATH, its in my head...GET IT OUT!!!!"
  7. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

make all your parts pages fit on business cards and Texman and myself will be very happy!! Not that we aren't ALREADY happy!:grin:
    Thank you for that "insanity" compliment!
  8. OylPslyk

OMG...:}~ It'd look like a bunch of minus signs and zero's!!!
  9. OylPslyk

I do have an old pattern i made for a mini f-117 around somewhere, matchbox size, 117's are almost cheating tho their so easy...
  10. rwguess

rwguess Member

my 2 cents ... similar size whatever the scale would be really cool if they were displayed together

and as for the size i would build the models even if the largest was approching the 3 foot barrier "i have large room" but i cant reccomend going much bigger just because i wouldnt like the disk of upper section being cut in 1/2 but thats just me

ron caudillo's enterprise seems to ba a good match for the actual physicall size if you want somethinng real to compare to

thanks for the work and any chance of seeing one or two beta photos of the nx-01?

i await with fevered anticipation

regards hermit
  11. SteveM

SteveM Member

I would recommend 1/1000 as being capable of representing all them. The 1701-E gets pretty big at that scale but not unreasonable. Also have the advantage(?) of being able to compare them to the Polar Lights 1:1000 NX-01 and 1701.
  12. damraska

damraska Member

I like to build my models to the same scale as what I already have, and I imagine many people feel the same way. On the other hand, many people want to build something that will fit on the shelf.

In plastic, I believe the most common ship scales are 1/700 and 1/350. In paper, I believe 1/400, 1/250, and 1/200 are the norm. Enterprise models in plastic and resin range across an even wider array of scales. This makes it difficult to offer a model in a scale that makes everyone happy...but not with electronic card models.

I recommend offering the models in vector format in the largest, common scale you can reasonably produce and include instructions for scaling them down to other sizes. For example, if you release the models in 1/200 scale, print at 80% for 1/250, 57% for 1/350, 50% for 1/400, 29% for 1/700, and so on.

If you do shoot for large scale, remember to include proper structural elements so that the models do not sag and deform over time. I would also love to see models with detailed hangers, shuttlecraft, and similar elements.

Good luck with your project!

13. SteveM

SteveM Member

The Enterprise 1701-E in 1/350 scale is over 6 feet long.
  14. rwguess

rwguess Member

now that puts everything in perspective lol

s i x feet wow
  15. damraska

damraska Member

My point about scaling still stands. Large models scale down much more easily than small models scale up.

With regards to large models, GPM, Halinski, and others regularly release warships in 1/200 scale, with the finished models measuring 3 to 5 feet in length. An original series Enterprise in the same scale would measure about 5 feet in length. I would love to own and build such a model.

16. SteveM

SteveM Member

NX-01 225 m
    NCC-1701 289 m
    NCC-1701-A 305 m
    NCC-1701-B 467 m
    NCC-1701-C 526 m
    NCC-1701-D 643 m
    NCC-1701-E 685 m

Interesting thing is that the 1701-A in 1:1000 is exactly 1 foot long.

I don't think it is entirely analogous to compare the enterprises in 1:200 to naval ships in 1:200. A naval ship has a lot of structures above deck that break up trying to produce large smooth surfaces. I think it will be extremely difficult to produce a smooth 2 foot diameter 1701 saucer in paper without ripples. But, that's just my opinion. I'm sure someone will prove me wrong.
  17. damraska

damraska Member

I definitely agree with you on this point. In fact, about two years ago I tried to scale up Ron Caudillo's Enterprise to 1/200 scale and ran into this very problem. I decided to use radially symmetric formers to shape the primary hull, spot welding it to the surface skin. I've discovered that a similar technique works very well on large wings. Unfortunately, I still lack the skill to design such a model.

18. OylPslyk

Thanks for all the input so far!

I believe i have decided to try to shoot for "shelf size" across the board, but i am still designing get a matched set of all.

I think that what will happen is that i will simply include instructions and extra "substitute" parts for models which need to scale up or down.

Today I started a test build of the NX model only to discover a fatal flaw in my work on it so far!!! :mad:
    this is the one ive started on paper, and im using my PocketPC as my calc.
    I decided to use it as my notepad too-using a PocketExcel spreadsheet to track all my points and check plum. Well, i tried to be sneaky and generate everything so far with excel formulas and was able to draw out a set of parts for the saucer section with everything drawn on to check how all matched up.

boy was i in for a surprise!:mad: :mad: :mad:

i havent imported the file to pc yet to see if it fixes, but what happens in PocketExcel is Trigonometric fucntions just done solve right.
    they come out in a slightly-off mark radian measure that i just cant get to convert right. -took me a while to discover thats what it was.

the dang thing looks like it was made by picasso!

anyway, ill work out a correct set and do another test build this week.
  19. OylPslyk

another quick note

discovered something else interesting about the NX design,

did anyone else know that the saucer isnt actually circular in the NX?

all the resources ive found all have the same slightly shortened saucer shape... i even took a couple stills from the tv and checked.

all i can figure is maybe the original designers were playing with the length of the thing and did an unconstrained shrink on the overall layout to fit some particular size, thus warping the saucer some? any ideas there?

just curious about that, it seems inlikely that was intended.
  20. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Ok this gives the idea on the quick and cheap.

Here are the ships as compared to the Yamato and a 747.

If anyone has done these kits, you will automatically know what your up against.