All sorts of Stations

Peirce

Dec 28, 2000
Southbury, CT, USA
www.geocities.com
I didn't shoot the whole building, in this case, because it was the nighttime lighting I was interested in showing. This is the Lakawanna Station in Scranton, PA.

003_FRONT_OF_LAKAWANNA_STA-vi.jpg

The same view during the day.
001_FRONT_OF_LAKAWANNA_STA-vi.jpg

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Very nice pictures everyone.
Now this might be a silly question (no stupid questions, only silly ;) ), but when is a building a depot and when is it a station?

I guess it really doesn't matter, and I mix between the two all the time, but is there a specific difference between the two, or is it more a matter of geographical location whether it's called one or he other?

Jesper

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
I found some pics of a funny station in Switzerland: Chamby, a small village with a BIG high class hotel high above Lake Geneva.

In fact Chamby is a junction of two narrow gauge lines. The two tracks at left belong to the MOB ("Montreux - Oberland Bernois"), a beautiful mountain line leading from Montreux at Lake Geneva into the heart of the Bernese Oberland in the Alps. The other line at the right is the "Blonay - Chamby" Railway. The small shack is the ticket office for this short museum line.

Attachments

• bhfchamby-001.jpg
    bhfchamby-001.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 217

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Chamby is almost an ideal prototype for a model RR station - when lack of space is an issue.

Here we are standing on the track of the museum line. Note the small 'footprint' of this station!

Attachments

• bhfchamby-002.jpg
    bhfchamby-002.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 211

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
And a last shot showing the almost ridiculous narrowness of this house.

As I said - ideal for a shelf railroad (oh well, IF you model Swiss narrow gauge :D :D :D )

Ron

Attachments

• bhfchamby-004.jpg
    bhfchamby-004.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 215

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Ron those shots are so picturesque,in other words dame fine:D :D
Thanks also to all our other friends.
Now for some wires;)
Motreal & Southern Counties express/ passenger Interurban car # 107 (Ottawa Car 1912) poses at Chembly Station on it`s last:( run.
Now preserved at Halton County Radial Railway Museum:D

Attachments

• montreal southern counties express  passenger and cargo 107 at chambly station on it`s last run.jpg
    montreal southern counties express passenger and cargo 107 at chambly station on it`s last run.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 206

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Which one?

According to Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary a Depot is (in regards to trains) "a building for railroad or bus passengers or freight." A Station is "a stopping place: as (1): a regular stopping place in a transportation route. (2) The building connected with such a stopping place : (depot)."

Sounds like half of one, six dozen of the other, your choice. :D :D :D

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Let me add a little to the confusion: :D :D :D

Here in Switzerland (German speaking part) the word 'depot' is used for an enginehouse, while a smaller station is a 'station'.
A big station (like Grand Central Station) however is called a 'Bahnhof' - which would translate to 'trainyard'... :confused:

Ron :rolleyes:

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
In Danish, just like in German, any larger station is called a "Banegaard" = "rail yard", while a smaller station (from just a platform up to a small building with a platform) is called for a station. And the engine house or service facility is called for the "depot"

So, no more confusion :confused: :)

Jesper

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
Hey Jkrista.....

Do you happen to have a picture of the old 2-story, wood SP station (depot??) at Moorpark (next to Simi Valley)? Every time I've happened upon it, I've had no camera.

These photos are great. A very informative thread. Thanks all.

Bill S