All sorts of Bridges

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
One more bridge. This is the CP along the north shore of Lake Superior where it crosses the Little Pic river. This is at Neys Provincial Park

Attachments

• neys.jpg
    neys.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 250

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Going through my collection, I found this one taken in the Fraser Canyon. This is awesome railroading country but not many places on the highway to stop.

Attachments

• sb.jpg
    sb.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 234

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Hi Paul, how was it going through Hells Gate? It sure looked scary to me.
This next photo is the old iron bridge in Georgetown taken from down by the Credit River

Attachments

• ibg.jpg
    ibg.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 206

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
This is actually a post card but it is the same bridge I rode over in the passenger service that existed when I was about 8 years old.
It is the Kaaimans River Bridge, Wilderness, Kaap, South Africa.
The loco is a class 24 a 2-8-4 built by North British Loco Co in 1949

Attachments

• kr.jpg
    kr.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 203

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Robin thanks a lot for all those bridges they are beauts.

Here is one with wires strung across:D :D :D
St Thomas Ontario.
Kettle Creek Bridge
A London & Port Stanley Fan Trip.
From "The Sirman Collection"
Dated July 1952.

Attachments

• scan 1.jpg
    scan 1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 201

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Here is a nice mix between masonry viaduct, deck truss and Pratt through truss bridge. Obviously the builders couldn't decide on one type! :D :D :D

It is on the narrow gauge Brünig line in Interlaken, Switzerland. The 'river' below is in fact the lower end of Lake Brienz, and ships (yes, also steamers! :cool: ) are passing below.

Ron

Attachments

• brünigbahn interlaken2.jpg
    brünigbahn interlaken2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 258
Mar 8, 2003
eddielandreth.boche.net
Bridge over the Saline River here in Saline County, Arkansas, the former Missouri Pacific mainline (now UP). Taken about 20 years ago when I was stupider than I am now and would get out on the mainline.

Attachments

• bridge1.jpg
    bridge1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 269

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Your photo shows the guard rail very well. Now when I was young and stupid. We used to go onto a bridge and when a train came, we jumped off into the river. Don't know what that did to the train crew

PennRailRoads

Apr 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
A bridge with alot of history.

Hey guys,

Sorry I wasn't around much, I had alot of stuff to do and was busy for months.

Anyways lets talk about this particular railroad bridge that's in my hometown of Johnstown, PA. I'm pretty sure some of you heard this story or read it but just in case anyone forgot I'll tell you.

A dam burst on May 31, 1889 which sent 20 million gallons of water towards Johnstown, the oncoming wave was 40 ft high. As soon as it reached the city of Johnstown the wave collected everything from rocks, trees, locomotives, barbed wire, people and anything else it could grab and threw itself at the Old Stone Bridge. But the horror wasn't over just yet, a lantern either tipped over or a stove set the debris ablaze for 3 days. 2,209 people died from the wave and the fire.

I looked into the history and found out that 1 of my relatives was a flood victim. Ella Layton (my ancestor) was the very first victim to be identified.

Now you know a little about my hometown and a little about my family background.

The pictures you see before you are that of the "Old Stone Bridge", it was owned and maintained by the Pennsylvania Railroad (it still carries the name PRR). The black & white picture above shows what mother nature did to the city of Johnstown.

Attachments

• old stone bridge.jpg
    old stone bridge.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 244

PennRailRoads

Apr 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
No problem!

Yeah, since next month is Memorial Day I decided to remind everyone ahead of time about what happened on May 31, 1889 before that day became Memorial Day. Like I told this 1 park ranger up at the South Fork Dam remains:

"Now you take the Titanic and the lives lost in Johnstown. You compare the number of lives lost in Johnstown and the people onboard the Titanic and they're practically the same: 2,209. Now you take away the lifeboats on the Titanic and let her sink. Same result in lost lives."

Pretty freaky, ya know?

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Penn--As I also lived in Johnstown and Vinco it was neat to see that bridge again...There is also a famous photo at the flood museum of a PRR loco utterly tossed about and wrecked by the force of that water. Many people don't know it, but that flood was the worst "natural" disaster in U.S. history in terms of lives lost. It is also very eerie to see all the graves in Westmont with the same date carved into each headstone. I hesitate to say "natural" as the flood was caused by humans bent on self-gratification while ignoring the safety of the hard working citizens of the city.

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

(btw--I always thought it would be neat to see a MRR of the Johnstown area as there is gorgeous scenery just waiting to be modeled. A view from the inclined plane should give many a modeler some inspiration!)