All sorts of Bridges

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by interurban, Mar 9, 2003.

1. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Does that include the tourist route over the top of the bridge?
  2. interurban

interurban Active Member

Hi Woodie, a ?? that lovely 100 year old bridge at Tocumwal, did the center part raise up??
    Our is that just the Structure.:)
  3. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Mr Sumpter,
    Nup. The bridge climb is separate. The two pedestrain walkways are on each side ot road level.

I've done the bridge climb twice. Well worth it! Not cheap, but well worth it.

yep. The centre bit of the bridge does raise to allow river traffic to pass through. Since the demise of the riverboats, it has not been necessary. lat time it was raised, was for the centenary celebrations. :)
  4. interurban

interurban Active Member

Want to try and model this beast

Attached Files:

5. interurban

interurban Active Member

Another shot with a CP about to cross.:)

Attached Files:

6. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

If memory serves me, Micro Engineering has a kit in HO, very similar to that "beast". I think they describe it as an urban viaduct.
  7. interurban

interurban Active Member

Hi Peter that`s a good name for it, it sure is a monster of a bridge for "urban":D

It actualy spans the Seaton Trail Just north of me in Pickering Ontario.
    I wonder if the kit is still out there?:p
  8. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

End of day

Go service to Georgetown bringing commuters home across the old iron bridge that spans the Credit River
    All the snow has gone and spring is just around the corner
  9. interurban

interurban Active Member

Nice shot Robin, thats a great looking bridge.

I got to ask Robin Did you climb that tree to get the shot:D
  10. Matthyro

Not this time Chris. In the summertime the growth gets so thick around here I would need to climb a tree. This photo taken from an industrial road
  11. Hunkiedoo

Hunkiedoo Member

Monster bridge

Did you notice that there are actually two bridges! Each track is actually on its own separate bridge, with the piers of one bridge falling between the piers of the other.

I often wonder if the railway planned it that way or if the 2nd track was required later & had to be painfully fitted together with the original bridge. Lots of strange girders & gussets where the bridges have to span the CN Bala Sub.:eek::eek:
  12. Matthyro

It is still a single track bridge Hunkiedoo. A real bottleneck because this is a double track CN line. The cost of adding a second track to this 1850 structure is prohibitive. Makes a good watching area though.
  13. Matthyro

This photo gives you a better view of the whole bridge.
  14. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

Bascule Bridges...

I think it is called a Bascule Bridge. I found a cool website with a bunch of different bridges and other structures...

Hey Interurben, you traction fan....

Stuck driving buses....

You poor soul. I'd think that with your seniority, you should be able to apply for streetcar duty.

You could get on the St. Clair 512 and be my chaufeur... :D
  15. interurban

interurban Active Member

Hi Tingoat I have already done 10 years at Russell barnes 512 is out of Roncesvale.
    I think I`ll do my last 4years 9mth6 days ( who`s counting) at Malvern:D
  16. TinGoat

109th Street Bridge...

Calling all Edmonchuckers.....

Anyone have pictures of the 109th Street "High Level" Bridge?!

I lived with my brother on the Strathcona (South) side of Edmonton, only a couple of blocks away from this beauty. The waterfall wasn't working when I was there. It would be nice to have pictures with the waterfall.

For those who don't know..... There is an artificial "waterfall" on the East side of the bridge. They used to run it during the summer with lights on it at night.

Shoulda taken pictures back in '86, but I was young and foolish...
    Now my brother is in Lotus Land (Vancouver) and I'm back in T.O..

Via Rail used to cross it coming into Edmonton. Great views of the Saskatchewan River Valley, the "Ledge" (Alberta Ledgeslature buildings) and other nice scenery....

Single mainline on top of bridge and northhbound 109th street inside of bridge, plus a pedestrian walkway. Southbound 109th street traffic had to wind its way down into the valley and across an expanded steel bridge which was slippery when wet and your tires make a neat buzzing sound as you drive over it.
  17. TinGoat

I must have just missed you!

I've been in the Junction for almost 7 years.... We could have already met and don't know it! :eek: :eek:

Hmmm.... Retirement. January 31, 2021... If my mathe is correct... About 16 years 10 months and 5 days to go, but who's counting... :D

Just putting in my time until the "Big-P" Let's hear it for Pensions!
  18. interurban

interurban Active Member

I CAN`T WAIT :D :D :D :D BUT I HAVE TO:( :(

My day will come;)

Ron We may meet up when I get the tour of CP yards arranged.
    IF YOU CAN MAKE IT;) will keep you posted.;)
  19. interurban

interurban Active Member

A "big Preston" travelling Southbound on the high level bridge june 24th 1948
    Taken by A Glegg

Attached Files:

• hlb2.jpg
      File size:
      19.3 KB
  20. interurban

interurban Active Member

Is this the trestle bridge?? We are looking for in Edmonton:D
    Marvallous this google search engine;)
    Good old photo`s.

Attached Files:

• hlb1.jpg