Aliens M41A1 Pulse Rifle - My first serious paper model attempt

RobTACP

So I warmed up with a three inch model of the Aliens APC before starting on this, learned the hard way on the APC about the basics of edging, gluing, cutting, etc and started in on this bugger...

Attachments

• P1020783.jpg
    P1020783.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 32
  • P1020786.jpg
    P1020786.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 35
Z

Zathros

Are you kidding me!! That looks like it's made of metal! Serious is an understatement! WoW!

PemTech

Excellent work!
Can't wait to see the rest of the build.

ANd by the by, where did you get the facehugger plushy?
That is hysterical.

Great choice for a build, especially if you're new to paper modeling, Julius's models are some of the best out there, his designs and instructions are a cut above. Just a heads up, when you get to the slide handle for the grenade launcher, in my build (and others I've known to build it) it comes out a little smaller than the frame it slides on. Before I built mine I had some correspondance with another builder who had the exact same problem so I was very careful while cutting and assembling but it was still abit smaller than the frame, I ended up gluing it in place.

Oh yea...this mod eats up alot of ink. I've included one pic...I didn't want to highjack you'r thread. Good luck, cain't wait to see the finnished results.

Attachments

• DSC01237.jpg
    DSC01237.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 29

RobTACP

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. And Astro, that's not a hijack, that's inspiration - as well as some helpful advice. I'm working on the pistol grip now and it's a bear. I agree on the ink usage, I went and added a CISS to my Goodwill-find Epson and it is working great.

The Facehugger was a Xmas gift for my wife as Aliens is her favorite movie. I found it at both Think Geek and Amazon but don't recall which I actually ordered from. This is also what led me to paper modelling as a replica pulse rifle is about $900, a resin one is about $200 and requires sanding, paint, etc. A search led me to this great paper model for FREE... how hard could that be? Oops, seems I didn't account for ink and labor. But I'm actually digging it, I do plastic models when time and space permits so the patience or occasional lack thereof aren't new but the techniques and models are.

Z

Zathros

If you could make a Ripley as accurate, you would have a great following, you know the scene, towards the end when she's just about to slip into the space suit.:p:twisted:

If you could make a Ripley as accurate, you would have a great following, you know the scene, towards the end when she's just about to slip into the space suit.:p:twisted:

I know that shot, thais a seen a seventeen year old boy never forgets, even thirty years later.

necronom

Good Stuff!!!!!!!! ive just started this one and backed all the parts in card first, its taking a bit longer than i first anticipated. :D

neil houlton

Hi, I've just started this model too and have only completed the rear of the top (carrying section). The part I had most trouble with was the recessed screws, I'm backing most of the large flat areas with foam board to give it some more strength but also to keep the model light.
As soon as I have more done I will post a photo. This thread has been a real incouragement to me.