Alfonso's Ares I-X....

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by dhanners, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhanners

dhanners Member

Just finished my first build in quite a few months. I wanted to do a quick weekend build of Alfonso's Arex I-X, but as I got into it, I realized the model lent itself to some super-detailing, so I added some. Among the improvements: Accurized systems tunnel and fuel lines, panel detail, joint detail added to the RSRM, hold-down posts added to the aft skirt, separation and roll motors added and other bits and pieces.

As I've built it, the model lacks the Aft Skirt Thermal Curtain (ASTC), that insulation shield that looks like half a bagel that surrounds the RSRM nozzle. I'm trying to find out if the Ares I-X has it. I know the RSRMs used to launch the shuttle have the ASTCs, but I was watching the NASA Channel the other day and they showed video of the static firing of the five-segment RSRM planned for Ares I and the aft skirt lacked the ASTC. I don't know if it was unnecessary for the test and therefore left off, or if Ares I-X will fly without one.

Attached Files:

2. David H

David H Member

Very, very nice!

Clean build and great photos.

3. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the kind words. I should note that I used model rocket tubes as the basis for the RSRM and the Upper Stage. I often try to use them because they give the model strength and rigidity, and on launch vehicles, it helps to insure they are straight.

I found a tube that was almost the right size for the RSRM. It was just a hair small, so I covered the tube with some adhesive-backed paper and that way the "skin" of the model part wrapped around it perfectly.

For the Upper Stage, I found a tube that was a bit too big, but I cut a 3 mm-wide strip out of it lengthwise, then glued the edges together and secured it with rubber bands while it dried. I don't know if it is "paper memory" or whatever, but when you use this method, the tube seems to naturally assume a circular shape. Once the glue was dry, I sanded the seam and the Upper Stage skin wrapped around it just fine.

I suppose some die-hard cardmodelers might consider it cheating, but, hey, the tubes are cardboard. Plus, there's no way I could add the RSRM joint lines or other details if the tubes weren't there. It would be too flimsy.
  4. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Outstanding AS USUAL Dave. Beautiful work.

The flight details are always a question between testing and actual flight. Hard to get a handle on them when no actual flights have taken place yet. I feel for you. It will be very interesting to see how the final vehicle looks.
  5. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks, Steve. I appreciate it. After determining that the Ares I-X has an Aft Skirt Thermal Curtain (ASTC) at the bottom of the RSRM, so I decided to add one.

The ASTC looks like a bagel cut in half. To build it, I began but cutting a donut-shaped piece out of heavy cardstock that would form the base of the ASTC. Then I cut a thin strip from the cardstock and formed it into a circle that would be glued to the first piece. This ridge would set the heigth of the pieces that would follow.

The ASTC is made of several pieces of fabric that are sewn together, so I made my ASTC out of several pie-shaped pieces of white textured paper. I cut out several of the pieces and glued them around the edge, each piece overlapping the other by a bit.

Once they were all glued on, I started with the first piece I glued down and curved it around the ridge and then back to the bottom piece. Then I glued the piece next to it, and the next and so on until I had made my way all around the donut. There were a couple of gaps left, so I cut small pieces to cover them.

To insure that the thing would lay flat when it was done, I weighted it down while the glue was drying with one of my medicine bottles filled with pennies. And, sure enough, when the glue was dry, it was appropriately flat.

The piece now looked like the half-bagel I was after. Since I hadn't glued my RSRM nozzle on, I popped the nozzle out and glued on the ASTC. When it was dry, I cut a thin strip of tan paper and glued it to the outside edge of the ASTC-RSRM joint to replicate the blown-on insulation that is used in that area. (That insulation is also used on the three stiffening rings on the RSRM.)

So now the thing is finally done. I'll spray-paint the base black, and glue on a copy of the Ares I-X patch that I printed out, and I'll be ready for the Oct. 27 launch....

Attached Files:

6. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Now that really finishes off the model. It's this little detail and the hardware above that make this an exceptional model.
  7. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

Really incredible work!

8. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the kind words. I made another tweak since the photos were taken. The RSRM to be used for Ares I (and I think even for Ares I-X, even though it is a four-segment RSRM) has a larger nozzle with a bigger throat. So today, I scratchbuilt a bigger nozzle. Haven't taken photos yet, though.
  9. subnuke

subnuke Moderator Intelligence Extraordinaire Moderator

10. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Normally, this would be considered a "dead thread" or as is called, as an Internet idiom, a "Necropost", but subnuke's information is what the classic "adding substantial" information to the thread is about, and makes it worth resurrecting. :)

Not allowing people to post, "That's Nice" is old dead threads, helps in managing the forum.

It is also in the Rules and Policies of this forum. Please read these rules and Policies.

1fa.) Look at Dates in threads, Do not post in Old Dead Threads,
    post in active threads.

This is for those in "other" forums that have their 2 cents to throw in. Keep it in your pants and mind you own business and affairs.

It is better to ask the question about this model in a "New" Thread. Making you first post a request for a model is better done with an Introduction.

Please, in the future, read the rules, don't post in inactive threads, I enforce the rules to this forum, I did not make them.

These threads are information archives, you don't write in the books at your local library, right?

This thread is now closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.