Alder Models lives on in BC

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by MasonJar, May 25, 2004.

1. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

This is another of the "lost threads" that I just remembered I posted... ;)

As announced in MR Express, Alder Models' wonderful line of resin structure kits and white metal detail parts, including operational switchstands in a variety of scales, is now available from Surrey Custom Models. :)

Click to see the MR Express story, and/or visit Surrey Custom Models.

2. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Great news!!!

You made my day Andrew! Alder made some amazing kits and beautiful operating switchstands in both CN and CP configurations, and I'm glad they will still be available.

btw, the second link didn't work - looks like part of the URL is missing. Here it is again.

3. rsn48

rsn48 Member

Well, I got excited since this company is in the greater Vancouver area, but all in HO... ho hum... nothing for N scalers. :rolleyes:
  4. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Agreed Rick, I checked them out as well, I always want to support Canadian Manufacturers, but when they have nothing I can use....

Oh Well. Unless Val has that "Shrink Machine" of her's fixed. I wonder if you was resin in hot water, does it shrink? I know my clothes do. :)
  5. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

If I had a working shrink machine, we wouldn't even need models!!!!

Can you imagine the consternation? "Where did our steel mill go? It was here yesterday!!!!"

:D Val
  6. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Hohoho, Val - that would be a really HOT layout, wouldn't it?

7. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

I bet the "Little Shrunken People" would be very mad and probably go on strike. :)
  8. SCM Limited

SCM Limited New Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind words and interest. We have purchased Alder Models and will continue with the fine building kits, detail parts and switchstands that the original owner had developed over the years. In addition to our own product we will continue to operate the Alder Models line as a division of SCM.

Our web site is about 75% updated with the Alder products in addition to our own existing products. We will be adding new product as they are released. A full catalogue, price list and order forms is also available to anyone who would like a copy. Please feel free to visit us on line at All of our products are either made in Canada or the USA. We also stock and retail other craftsman items from manufacturers such as FOS Limited, Bar Mills, etc.

Sorry, we presently do not have plans for an N scale product (sorry Will). I just dont think my eyes could take it :D . Thank you are for your interest and we hope to continue to well serve the model railroading hobby. If you have any questions, an email link is available directly on our site.

All the best and happy modeling!

Karl Fasolino
    Owner - Surrey Custom Models
    Surrey, BC Canada
  9. cobra

cobra Member

This isn't a commercial , but I have bought shacks and detail items from Karl in the past . I like his work and quality ...the price is right , so I'm sure his new acquisition will go well .Best of luck Karl . GO FLAMES !

10. MasonJar

Val - thanks for the link correction.

Karl - nice to hear from you and that you plan to continue all of Alder's line. Can I suggest an addition? ;) Some more interior detail castings. I am having a heck of a time getting proper chairs, desks, filing cabinets, etc suitable for a 1920s - 1930s office. If you could do something along the lines of the small wood stove, that would be great. You'd have at least one customer for it... ;) :D Best of luck with your new addition!

11. SCM Limited

SCM Limited New Member

Thanks for the interest Andrew. Our plan is to greatly expand our detail parts offerings in the Alder Line over the next year. Mainly in HO, so your request is not out of line. I cannot specifically say when this will occur, but we do plan on increasing our product offering. We are still presently working through our recent aquisition and want to make sure we can fulfill all our present customer's needs before moving on to new products - but do stick with us and stay tuned! I presently do have a old time wood burning stove, just contact us off line for more info. Unfortunately it is not presently shown on our web site (more work to do!). Stove comes with piping. Can email you picture if you'd like. Thanks for your kind words and continued support. Best regards and happy modeling!

Please note I am away on business and will not be able to full respond until next week.
  12. MasonJar

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the reply... I actually have one of those wood stoves - very nice. What I meant to say was that any further interior details with that kind of quality workmanship and reasonable price combination would be most welcome!

13. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hello to (SCM Limited)
    Whilst this information is of great value to our members, please remember that we do not allow commercial advertising on the gauge. By all means reply to posts, and I thank you for joining the gauge.

14. rsn48

rsn48 Member

I think Kaslo is out in the same neck of the woods as Alder. By the way, Central Hobbies is selling FP7's in the Kaslo shell. They are only available through Central as Hal (Cental's owner) paid for the run. They are available in HO and N.