Alco's

Tyson Rayles

My railroad needs a Alco 400 or 600 series loco. The Walthers cat. only shows a Model Power C-420. Does anybody know if this body shell will fit a Kato or Atlas mech. as is or can be made to fit? Also does anyone know of a 400 or 600 series made by anybody anywhere (shell or complete unit)? This is in N- Scale.:(

Drew1125

Hi Tyson!
Wonder if you could get that Model Power shell to fit on the Life Like FA chasis? The trucks would be right, & that LL motor & chasis is top-notch. For the 600 series, I believe there's a company called J-N-J Trains that makes the shell. possible refit might be one of the Life Like PA chasis...?
Look for a series of articles from a couple of years ago (?) in MR by Mark Watson on his Arkansas & Missourri RR He had to kitbash several N scale Alcos for that project.
Alas, I'm not aware of anyone who makes a decent R-T-R N scale model of any of the Alco Centuries. :(

Tyson Rayles

BDC, that link doesn't say what scale so I'm guessing HO. Charlie I forgot about Mark's article in MR, I save my back issues and will dig it out by the weekend, thanks. On those lifelike's do they have flywheels? I have to team this engine with a Kato RS which is why I was looking for a shell to fit on a Kato or atlas mech. I have 4 atlas & katos and they all run good together, don't know if another brand would.I can live with the wheel differrence if I can't swap the side frames over.

BDC

Tyson - all the locos listed on that website are N scale.

--

Doh! Sorry, Rory! Another case of brain working faster than fingers! :eek:

Tyson Rayles

:eek: Forget about the 600 series, just dawned on me that means 6 axle, DUH ! Found the article by Mark Watson, he did what I was thinking about doing, using Model Power Shells on Atlas Mech's. You would think Atlas, Kato or Lifelike would bring out some Centurys as common as they where in real life. :rolleyes:

Tyson Rayles

BDC, I guess you can color me stupid twice in one night. I went back to that link and it clearly states on the first page N-Scale. However the only 400's still around is Model Power so I'm back to my original idea I guess, but thanks.

BDC

Well, I guess you're not the only one who's a couple Boy Scouts short of a camp-out. I completely spaced that Hobbycraft (LL - Canada) is building the C424 right now. I think it's still in production, but you'll probably see them brought into the US pretty soon. No word on a C636.