Alco t-6?

Russ Bellinis

I'm new to this site. I've posted this question at other boards, but haven't received an answer, yet. I've decided I would like to model the Arkansas & Missouri railroad in ho scale. I can get C420 Alcos from Rivarrossi, but I don't know of a source for an Alco t-6. The photos that I have seen of the prototype would indicate that the exterior size is similar to the S1-4 switch engines. I think I could kit bash one from a Rs11 long hood and a S1-4. I would need to change the air filters on the side of the hood. I'm not sure how the length would compare, but my biggest question is what is the length of a t-6 compared to Alco S series switchers?

Hi Russ, and welcome.

Judging from the few pictures I have, they will be close to the S-4 in length.j Both have 8 stanchions on the long hood walk way. The trucks are the same and appear to have the same distance between the two. The radiator area is more of a vertical rectangle than a square, but that isn't insurmountable to change. Your use of the RS11 long hood for the notches and sand box hatches is a good idea. The cabs look real close, between the s-4 and T-6. I would judge your hood length by the vertical stanchions and go from there. If your into 100% accuracy, then a search for drawings would be in order. An interesting project you have there.

Good luck,
Greg Elems

Russ Bellinis

Thanks Greg. I hadn't noticed the difference in the radiator grilles.
I have the book ALCO Reference # 1 by Bob Liljestrand. It has some good views of the T-6 and S-2. They looked to be similar in length, but while he has dimensional drawings of the S-2, he has none for the T-6. On closer look at the Rs11, I think that what I thought were air cleaners are something else. They appear to have some sort of tubing coil behind the grille. Unless it is some sort of oil cooler, I really don't know what they are. As you noticed their seem to be 8 stanchions on both the S-2 and the T-6. There are also 8 stanchions on the long hood of the RS11. It appears that the S-2, the T-6, and the RS11 all have the same number of doors on the side of the hoods as well. I can't afford brass, so I think my only hope of modeling a T-6 is a kitbash.

Russ, the extra filter with the tubing is for the water cooled turbo exhaust, IIRC. Another option, and it still requires the RS11 long hood, is to cut it down to the proper height. Sand all the doors and louvers off and make it smooth. Glue new thin sheet styrene on for the new doors of the proper height. Narrow the radiator section at the same time. Or, take the S-2 hood and the nose section of the RS11 and use the notched end and the round radiator fan on the roof. Hope these idea's are of help and keep us informed of your project. It might be something to consider in S, since my short line could use a switcher.

Greg Elems

jon-monon

I'm not a dentist, but if you want an S-1 to work with, trainworld.com has 'em for $27 + $7 S&H, sweet deal for a LL P2K! I got mine on order, should arrive today!