ALCO RS-3 HAMMERHEAD: Need top-down photos!

brokemoto

Jan 1, 2005
The PRR/LV was one.

WM had four, #192, #193, #194 and #197.

According to LaMarre, only two left Schenectady that way, the PRR unit and WM #192. This makes me wonder if the WM modified the other three at its own shops. That might explain the break in sequence between #194 and #197. I have been trying to do this one in N scale, but moving put the project on hold: now I have to find where I packed it. JnJ, or somebody used to sell the a hammerhead conversion for HO, but no one ever sold one for N of which I am aware.

The WM's RS-3s were later phase, which means no louvers on the long hood doors and paper carbody filters. Removing those from a N scale shell will require long hours under the magnifying lamp. Atlas is offering its RS-3 in N&W 'as delivered' black, though. They are putting the scheme on its early phase shell, although I would assume that the N&W's RS-3s were later phase. There was some phase overlap at ALCo: most of WM's RS-3s came in May, 1953; there were two more in December and the final two in September, 1954. The P&LE's RS-3s were earlier phase and came in October, 1953. I would not think that phase overlap would stretch between 1953 and 1955 (or was it 1956 for the N&W?), at least not at ALCo; at the Baldwin, maybe, but not ALCo.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
CNW had them - oddly, they also had some RS-3's with a high long hood (but low short hood).