Alco pa & pb

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by lucakiki, Jul 25, 2008.

1. lucakiki

lucakiki Member

A simple question,which will denote my ignorance on the subject: please be patient!
    Was only one B unit used in the average lash-up ( A+B+A) or did more than one B unit ( A+B+B+A) get added at times?
    In other words, did I buy one unit too much for my Santa Fe roster?
    Thank you.
  2. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

The santa fe railroad had 28 PA1's & 16 PB1's. I have seen them lashed up with 2 PA1's and 2 PB1's units on tv when they would air about railroads awhile back.
  3. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

All the pics I've seen on the Fallen Flags site( looks like the Santa Fe ran the PA in only A+B+A.
    If I remember reading somewhere, the Santa Fe actually considered the A+B+A lash-up as one unit. The "B" unit would be numbered as a(ex: 51A).
    But since its your railroad, I'm sure you can come up with a good story as why there is an extra "B" unit. (The two A units scrapped, keeping the B unit..especially if its a different number, though I think the Santa Fe would renumber it 51B)
  4. lucakiki

lucakiki Member

Thank you: so basically I should use the A+B+A configuration, or make up some story if I want to use the A+B+B+A configuration.
    I guess I will use the prototypical configuration.
    I will have plenty of "errors" on my layout, owing to ignorance, so I would like to avoid what I now know to be wrong .
    I will use the " hey it is my layout " formula as a last resort...
  5. Chessie6459

6. lucakiki

lucakiki Member

Thank you very much!
  7. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Not all roads used B units.

The NKP had probably the 2nd most famous PAs....and despite multiple offerings of NKP B-units, the road never had any. So check your road before buying. The NKP used a single A unit for their St. Louis trains and a pair for their Buffalo-Chicago trains.

All 4 surviving PA-1s are A units. They started out as AT&SF power...went to the DL&W, and then off to Mexico. 2 are still in Mexico...and Doyle McCormick repatriated the other two. One is going to the Smithsonian painted up for its original railroad, the AT&SF. The one that Doyle is keeping is lettered up for the NKP.
  8. railohio

railohio Active Member

The units went to the Delaware & Hudson after the Santa Fe, not the Lackawanna. The DL&W never rostered any Alco cab units.

The 190 still has a long way to go before being complete and only then will Doyle finally start on the Smithsonian's unit. It has come a long way since I last saw it, but still isn't near being finished.
  9. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Thank you for the correction and the additional info!
  10. Chessie6459

You are welcome. That's why this is such a great place to be. I seen your post and started to research and found the answers you were looking for. Have A Good One. Stay Safe.:thumb: :clap:
  11. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

I've seen that shot before and I loved it. I've seen consists of 4 E-units on many roads (even 5 on the UP), but this was the first time I saw 4 PA/PBs.