AKANE Locomotive

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by ELMADALEJAKE, Feb 15, 2006.

New to the forum. I am an "O" gauge operator. However, my thread pertains to an HO locomotive that I have an opportunity to buy. This is the information on the loco.

Type: M & P 2-8-0
    No. 9275
    Date - Aug 3, 1959
    Akane Model RR co. LTD, Tokyo Japan.

It was an unpainted deluxe kit, but is built and painted, still operates well.

Any ideas on how much I should spend for this?

They want 125.00 for it.

2. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

I did a search for your loco manufacture.
    WOW!....Should of seen the pic in the first link I clicked on. Apparently, Akane Models is something different today.....Uh...hum....
    Any way....Another link gave imformation on the Real Akane. They were made in the early '60's. I guess from what I read, they were the brass version of todays Bachmanns, not much detail or really rough, but ran good. Since its brass, I'd say $125.00 is a steal.
  3. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

:wave: welcome to the gauge Jake :wave: I'd buy it :)
  4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge, Jake :wave:

$125 is a good buy for a well built and painted version of this kit. They put out the first fully assembled Big Boy in HO scale as well as one of the first cab forwards, also fully assembled.

BTW...I just found out recently that it was pronounced ah-kuh-ney not ah-caine as I did in years past :oops: :thumb:
  5. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

My experience with Akane has been good so far, I have their USRA 2-6-6-2, and it has always run well. It wasn't exactly the same as photos of prototypes, but was close enough. $125.00 is not a bad price, but I'd compare any available pics of the model with prototype photos, if you are looking for that specific loco.