Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by patriot missile, May 28, 2005.

1. if you have an airport this site has airliners from all over the world+ templates to paint your own i have seen some built and they look somewhat "boxy" around the tail and cockpit but im sure with some magic they will look close to the real thing :wink: :wink:
  2. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

These are great little projects, doesn't take all that much to build, and they come out pretty respectible particularly considering their size.

Here is one I built of the Eastern Airlines 727 recently, just fooling around. I did try to roll a bit of the sharp edges out of the nose area, finished up the middle engine exhaust rather simply, did a crude re-build of the engines and added some quickie landing gear, all just for fun to see what can be done to this model. That's a dime in the picture for scale.:D It could do with a lot more work from someone more talented than I and you could come out with a very nice, though small, model! :lol:

One suggestion if anyone tries to build one, put a good weight in the nose area so she'll sit properly on the nose gear, otherwise she is tail heavy (something I thought I accounted for, apparently not enough weight was added during the build, and I had to do a quick fix to have her sit right). :roll:

I wonder if anyone else has tried playing around with these models?
    If nothing they are fun to build! :D

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Jim,

I have been by that site many times, but thought they would look boxy as you say, but I am really impressed with your build. It turned out far better than what I thought they would, now I guess I am gonna havta go get that MD-80 I was looking at.
    Thanks for the heads up,

Greg aka GW
  4. Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Greg! :D

I love these little guys...or is it gals? :lol:

What I did was burnish the edges around the cockpit and nose area using a rounded burnishing could probably use any rounded off dowel that has a smooth and rounded end. I used the base of my work table with a piece of paper between the piece being worked and the padding to keep it clean. It doesn't take much work to get that sharp edge out, and then just work it when you glue to keep the edge smooth. I learned this trick from some of those great aircraft modelers from their build threads.

I should have touched up the white edges a bit more, but it was just a build to see what could be made of these models...and I was pleasantly surprised at how that sharpness was reduced.

Of course you WILL build the MD-80 and post a few photos, right? I also found it helped to find some photos of the real aircraft to help in changing the engine exhausts and working up some more presentable landing gear. The landing gear on my model was really very crude, but a bit better than the boxey gear the original kit provided.

Good luck!!

5. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

GW is right. This is a good looking build. I might have to try one. I will add it to my list of projects.
  6. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

I've visited Airigami many times before, and signed up for their free membership long ago :wink:

This just crossed my mind...

Those airliners can be modified to represent military examples, like the USAF tankers. Their L-188 Electra can be remodeled to the P-3 Orion :wink:
  7. Jim Krauzlis

And they have the models available as blank templates too!

Should be very interesting and fun to modify them to fit your particular project. :D

@Dave, Thanks! They are fun to play around with, that's for sure...not too many parts and loads of room for tweaking to try and make them look a little better.

8. Samee

Samee New Member

well.....they have really good models/but the prob is i cant get access to their website...........
  9. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Old link

You're looking at a thread that's four years old. The site appears to have moved here