Airfix bought by Hornby

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by gnAsher, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnAsher

gnAsher Member

Just saw this article on the BBC website:
    BBC NEWS | Business | Airfix - Britain's Next Top Model?

If the more popluar p******* models are in trouble, what does that say for the paper modellers? Half of UK kids have a telly in *their room*? I wasn't allowed to watch more than a couple hours, let alone have a boob tube in my room. Maybe Airfix should bring out simple paper models to whet kids appetites. I know my daughter loves the Canon and Epson animals, and her brother, who is four, is also asking for a "craft" to do.

Give kids some simple models to start with, keep them away from being sucking into the telly, and let 'em develop some useful skills to boot.

Long live paper modelling . . . and it's lesser p***** allies!
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I'm thinking a lot more 'adults' buy models than kids. Either before mainstream internet addictions or now.

I don't know any friends who had as many models then as I do now. I do agree that the computer has pretty much swept up today's youth. Trying to get kids to sit down and do something for more than 15minutes that doesn't have a screen is probably the toughest thing to do.

This in the days where parents have to both work hard away from home and rely on other forms of parenting than guiding a growing future by hand. Sit them in front of a tv/computer/hand held game and they are quite for how ever long you want.
  3. David H

David H Member

AIRIX have been in trouble since the late 1970s and the brand has been rescued before.

I would link modelling's decline with many other factors than just TV and Play-Stations but SteveO's observation on parenting is a very valid one.

On the other hand information, and I think models at one level are a form of communication, is much more readily available in books, on telly and via the internet. So perhaps one of the roles of modelling has in society has simply been superseded.

This is where card models come in; card models address such diverse and out of the ordinary prototypes that the hobby can still communicate "new information".

The move away from engineering trades in the UK would be another factor. Note the Airfix production lines will leave the UK.

Good luck to Hornby / Airfix. (If Father Christmas is listening I want a Hornby live steam train set).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.