Aircraft modeling - leading edges...?

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Wily, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Wily

Wily Member

My cardmodeling experience spans about 10 years and includes the gamut of kits.

My preference is for airplanes.

I recently purchased a 1/50 scale Spitfire from It's a fairly basic kit - the brand is unintelligible as I can't read Polish and the kit doesn't appear to be branded very well.

Nevertheless, I suspect it's reasonably designed and will produce a nice, desert-camo Spitfire Mk.V.

My question to you all concerns the leading edges of the compound-curve surfaces.

The tail is constructed in halves that must be joined along the leading and trailing edges. The leading edge of the wing is also designed so a large portion of it must be butted-up against the other side to create the leading edge.

My desire is to create an even, curved joining of the leading-edge seams, just like the real machine. If the edges were perfectly straight, this isn't much of a problem. But on compound curves, getting a nice rounded leading edge appears daunting.

How would you recommend I proceed...?

Thank you in advance.

2. mOONwOKA

mOONwOKA Member

On a small curves it should be sufficient simply to make a few small cuts from the edge of part and at the right angle to edge itself. Then you should use a rubber eraser as a base and apply a slight pressure to the edge with round object like end of brush or something like. For larger curves it might need to cut out narrow triangles. Sorry if my explanation is obscure, but i don't have photocamera to illustrate my words. Maybe you could try figuring out what i said on scrap piece of paper :oops:
  3. Wily

Wily Member

Thank you - will do.