Airbush kit

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by bholderman, Aug 3, 2005.

1. bholderman

bholderman Member

I've been wanting to get an airbrush kit for quite some time. But, I am pretty much in the dark on the industry. SO, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a begginner's kit>

2. Gil

Gil Active Member

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Gil,

Well, I airbrush models but also rifles, shotguns, 4-wheelers, deerstands and I have even airbrushed a boat. If you are just starting off, there is no need to go spend alot of money on an airbrush until you are sure its something you can get the hang of. You will get the hang of it if you really want to, its not nearly as hard as you thing it may be. Less is better with airbrushes, you can always add paint but you cant remove it.
    Anyway, Go to Wal Mart Or K-mart or your local hobby store, testors makes an airbrush kit that uses aerosol propellant which is great for beginners or even experienced modelers. You can buy the cheapest one testors makes for about $15-20 and pretty soon you will be painting everything in the house. SPECIAL NOTE: you want the "EXTERNAL MIX" airbrush to start out with, clean up is alot easier.
    What "external mix" means is just what it says, the propellant and paint are "mixed" outside of the airbrush, leaving you with only having to clean the paint bottle and occassionally the brush tip. "Internal mix" mixes the propellant and paint inside the brush and clean up requires disassembly of the brush.

I hope this helps,

Greg aka GW
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Greg it was for Brad..., my collection of airbrushes will give me something to talk about in the poor house...,

5. bholderman

bholderman Member

I've seen that Testors propellant kit and have debate getting it as a begginner.

Thanks for the thread lnk, it helped. With Greg's endorsement, I think I will shoot for that straightaway until I get the hang of things a bit.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy bholderman,

I think you will like it, the external mix airbrush may not produce "expert results" right away, but then again, if this is your first attempt at air brushing it is the easiest to use and learn on. Later on, after you get accustomed to techniques that you will use, you can spend abit more money and buy the testors internal mix airbrush kit, which will cost somewhere around $25$40 depending on where ya get it, and it still uses the canned propellant.
    There is no sense in going out and buying a 30 gal air tank, compressor, and an expensive airbrush if all you are going to do with it is models.
    I personally majored in commercial art and advertising in college, I reckon I could have become a beach bum airbrushing tshirts on a sunny beach somewhere making $20 ea on $3 shirts but I didnt.
    But, if you or your wife have artistic ability, you may consider other projects like tshirts for your family and friends, then once you get good at it, you can justify spending upwards of $200 plus dollars on a nice airbrush and all the needed accessories like compressor and air tank, you can easily spend several hundred dollars with airbrush equipment.
    well, let us know how you like it when ya get it and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Greg aka GW
  7. bholderman

bholderman Member

Actually, being an extension of model building somewhat, I've always been interested in the maritime/aircraft profile illustrations that are fairly common nowadays (although I understand a lot of these are digital nowadays). Also, in attempting to get on the sail crew for the Star of India here in San Diego, I've been sketching parts of the ship that I need the most practice on. If time will ever allow, I've been wantng to sit and produce some finished technical stuff, but we'll see...

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy again,

Well, since you have artistic ability, you should have no trouble with the airbrush. You can make pencil thin lines or paint fairely large areas (compared to the size of the tool you are using....the airbrush).
    But as I stated above, just remember with an airbrush or a can of spray paint, less is better, you can always add to the paint, but you cant remove it.
    Remeber too that you should keep the brush a consistant distance from the work, somewhere between six and 10 inches normally depending on the project and desired effect.
    And you can also thin your paints to create almost transparent colors over other colors, this is useful in creating effects like metallic finishes. By spraying a base coat of silver or gold, then going over that with say a "thinned out, transparent Blue", you can create a "blue metal flake effect" which you can replicate in most any other colors. The options are endless.
    Like I said before, I airbrush realtree and treebark camo jobs on rifles and shotguns for guys I work with, I make anywhere between $35 to $50
    per gun. I used to do them with a regular detail paint brush and would spend up to 8 to 12 hrs to paint one gun. My airbrushes cut that time down to about 30 minutes to an hour.
    Think about that, $35 to $50 per hour.....good money huh? And treebark is about the easiet thing in the workd to paint, especially with an airbrush. After I finish painting the guns, I spray them with testors "dullcote" to knock off any shine or gloss thereby giving the gun a flat finish that looks real enough you will be worried to sit the gun down for fear of misplacing it lol.
    Now military camo and weathering is just as easy to paint, but remember, less is best.
    Ok i have rambled long enough, Go buy a one, and some testors thinner, a few enamel paints, the military camo kits by testors are great, and play with it for awhile and let us all know how you like it.

Have a good day,