Airbrushes

alkcnw

Thanks Guys, I kind of figured the canned air was not the way to go, The initial kit is only about thirty bucks but you have to keep buying air. I have a regular industial air compresor with a 30 gallon holding tank. It is also located in my workshop with enough hose to go out into the train room. I have a very good set of regulators equiped with a moisture trap and fine partical trap. So I think I'm going to make the plunge and get a decent airbrush!! ps.--- I am proud of all of you we got through this post without even one black eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

cidchase

Vic thanx for the info.
It's really helpful having this forum to get a little warm fuzzy before jumping off in an unfamiliar direction. I love the lighter fluid tip.
Thanks again

R.B. Turner

While lighter fluid is a great tip, if you're a tightwad like me...use naptha to thin with. A gallon is around $8.00 and you do a lot of painting.

Randy

Vic

Andy ---- Compressor

That's gonna work!!!!:D Just keep your pressure down to about 22-25 PSI!!!

Vic

WARNING!!!!

Hey Guys!!! Earlier in this thread I made a refference to using "hot" lacquer thinner to clean an airbrush. I was reffering to the chemical reactance of the the thinner. For God's Sake! don't try to heat it up on the stove!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

As they say on TV...."Kids don't try this at home!":D :D :D

Vic

Andy....Sorry!!

Sorry to hear about the mishap!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

But....I'm writing my regrets from a small island off the coast of Brazil that does not have an extradition treaty with the USA!!!! HAHAHA:D :D :D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I'm getting into this late in the game, but here's my two cents worth.
I use a "buffalo" air brush that I got at a hardware store bargain table. It's similar to the basic Badger, and works well.
I use a diaphram type compressor with an expansion tank( reduces the "pulsing"), and a regulator and water separator.
The brush is easy to disassemble and clean( about twenty minutes total), and is cleaned after each use. It came with a bottle, for paint, but the Badger paint cup works, and I use it most of the time.
On the subject of canned air; If you have no other choice,,,,, it helps to immerse the air can in hot water, to keep the pressure up. There's a professional model builder here who uses CO2 from a large tank which he can get refilled. With a regulator, the pressure isn't a problem, and there is NO water problem, ever.
It takes a bit to get used to airbrushing, but I prefer it to brush painting. The "bug in the ointment" of airbrushing, is that you have to mask everything, all the time. The finish is worth the effort , my hands are not steady enough to paint that straight a line with a brush.
Pete

Woodie

$$$$$$$$$$$$

How expensive are these things??? Just saw a Paasche aribrush in my local hobby shop window. (not trains, more artist/sculpture/pot/paper making hobby shop) for...... wait for it..... $270 AUS!! ($130 US) And the box said "ready for connection to an air source"...... and how much are the compressors????
At this point, i'm happy with my $1.99 brush and pot of floquil, thank you. :eek: :eek:
Rather put that sorta money aside for DCC, I think.

rockislandmike

WHOA that does seem pricey. Seems to me my hobby store (may it rest in peace) had a Paasche for $80CDN (about $50US). Don't know if that's top of the line or bottom of the line, but $130US does seem out of control. Course, you're talking a lot more shipping costs to get it to the another hemisphere.