Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by mgmike, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgmike

mgmike New Member

Hi guys and Gals I got an Airbriush kit for Xmas and this is the first time I have got to play with it. What ratio of paint to thinners do you use, what are the best paints to use ect cannot find much info yet but them I am new here and not used to the differtn formats and navigation yet. Also it has a can of air for propelant how long will it last and what are the cheapest options for compressors, sorry for all the questions
  2. C Babbage

C Babbage New Member

How you thin the paint depends on what what you are painting, with what kind of paint, and with what size airbrush.

For most hobby stuff I would recommend sticking with water-based acrylics. Almost any brand acrylic from your local art supply or crafts store. With the acrylics you can thin with just water. You can find alot of brands with paint already pre-thinned and airbrush ready. If you are needing to thin down your paint, then a good rule of thumb is to thin it down until it looks like 2% milk. Use that as a starting point and see if you need to thin more. The larger the airbrush, the thicker the paint can usually be. The smaller, then the thinner the paint needs to be.

I was painting something at work this week where the paint almost looked like syrup. The paint viscosity can change based on the technique your trying as well.

Good luck,
  3. treker2557

treker2557 New Member

It all depends what you are going to be doing with your airbrush. Different paints work better on different applications. If you are a scale model builder like I am. Please check out and go to their forum. They have info on all aspects of finishing work.

I also suggest getting a pressure regulator for your compressor if using one or also purchase a compressor. This will allow you to control the air flow properly since a compressor cylce it's pressure.

As for paints you will have to thin all your paints and the thickness of the paints depends on your application but check out that forum for more help.
  4. MTK

MTK Active Member

Yeah, it really depends on what you are going to do with it. Like anything else, you have to play with it and get your own feel for the equipment. It's useless to go to other sites.... You can read all you want, but you have to actually work with it and play with it. For the best research, I'd say buy the cheapest book on airbrushing that you can find at, then get out there and work with it. You'll find what works best for you.:thumb:
  5. kirkhere

kirkhere New Member

Late to comment, but you'll find you go through propellant cans fast.

If you can swing it, get a compressor.

You can use up a can painting one model, then another half can just cleaning out the brush. If you take to airbrushing, it's just not economical to go with cans.
  6. clif52

clif52 Banned

On the compressor make sure you have a moisture trap, inline or on the compressor. The diaphragm compressors with no tank cause a lot of condensation in the line and will cause a lot of spitting. I usually use a larger tank compressor with a long airline running to where I'm painting and I connect a moisture trap on a regulator at my airbrush. Any condensation ends up in the trap and the airbrush gets clean dry air. I used to airbrush t-shirts, wall murals and just about anything else before I retired. I still paint on my models an custom toys.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.