Airbrush/paint question....

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I have a new air brush outfit, a Badger 350,,, and want to know if anyone on the GAUGE is using ModelFlex paint by Badger ? If so, any comments.....

Thanks... Bob :confused:

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hi Bob, I've used it and have been happy with it. It dries a bit more flexible, as it's name suggests. That's good for things like handrails where it may resist flaking off better. It may be a matter of experience (talent) but I think it applies more heavily than Polly S. But that may be a matter of adjusting air pressure. However, it isn't a good choice for something like valve gear. Whereas Polly S will come off the rivets and such cleanly, Modelflex tends to peel like latex house paint.

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Thanks, Gary...

That info is a big help. I recently picked up a used (like-new) "artist" type compressor, but I don't like the "pulsing" and I was wondering... if I buy an air tank, and fit it with a regulator, gauge, and moisture trap, is that a workable option? I could fill the tank using my compressor and have a steady, regulated air source without the "banging" of a compressor pump. Your pro's and con's are most welcome.

Thanks again, Bob / Iron Goat

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Bob, Sure, the tank and regulator are the way to go. A couple years ago Sears had a great sale on compresors and I picked one up with the tank and regulator/gauge built in for about $80. It's a big thing and noisy but it fills the tank up in less than a minute and only needs to run again after several minutes of spraying. I installed a water trap and another regulator in the air line on the other side of a quick disconnect so I can easily disconnect the compressor to bring it outside to fill tires, etc.

Silicon

Jul 7, 2003
www.sr.boche.net
Iron Goat said:
...I don't like the "pulsing" and I was wondering... if I buy an air tank, and fit it with a regulator, gauge, and moisture trap, is that a workable option? I could fill the tank using my compressor and have a steady, regulated air source without the "banging" of a compressor pump.
Hey, Bob! Gary's right on the money! A tank and regulator will work just fine. :)

If you're going to use a tank to "buffer" the air supply from the little compressor, then just about any size tank will do. But if I read your post correctly, and you're planning on charging the tank with the compressor and then disconnecting the tank from the air supply, be sure to consider the size of the tank.

If that's the case (fill the tank and then disconnect it), then I've done exactly what you're proposing. :cool: Sam's Club (warehouse store similar to Costco and BJ's) had a 9-gallon tank for less than $20, I got a combination moisture trap/filter/regulator from Sears, and miscellaneous fittings, and hooked everything up. I put a female quick disconnect fitting on the output of the tank, and the corresponding male connector on the input of the regulator. This way, when I take the tank to work to fill it up (plenty of clean, dry air is available from either the maintenance shop or the garage, and the guys don't mind me "stealing sailboat fuel" ;) ) I don't have to worry about banging up the regulator.

Anyway, the 9-gallon tank, charged to around 110 PSI, gives me enough painting time at 20-30 PSI (I'm using a Badger 200 and acrylic paints) to do a couple of small models or one larger one (an evening's worth of painting for me), and still have enough air to clean out the airbrush. Also, since, as you mentioned, there's no compressor at work, it's virtually silent, which keeps my girlfriend happy when I decide it's time for a late-night painting session. :)

Another thing to consider would be the maximum pressure of the little compressor. Most "artist" compressors are the diaphragm type (versus the piston type found in larger compressors), and are therefore only capable of significantly lower pressures (30-40 PSI). If that's the case, then you won't have much luck getting enough air in the tank to paint for very long. All may not be lost, though. ;) You could still use a smaller tank, constantly being filled by the little compressor, to remove the pulsations from the flow of air.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes! :thumb:

My 2¢,
SR

Chanda

Aug 25, 2006
Pahrump, Nevada
Model Flex paint

I'm not exactly a "newbie" but I have a question someone may answer for me. I painted a diesel loco with ModelFlex paint and I would like to know if I can use Floquil Crystal-Cote as a base for decals ? I have always used the Floquil paints but thought that I'd try the Model Flex for a change. So far it has worked very well.

Cadillac_SD9

Jan 2, 2006
I use Floquil because it flows through the airbrush a lot better. Stay away from polly scale because it splatters. I generally use model flex for the hand rails because it can take a little flex before chipping.

Cadillac_SD9

Jan 2, 2006
custom painting

Here are some of the locos that I painted with Floquil. Notice on Missuri Pacific GP that the paint is chipping off the hand rails. Thats because I didnt use model flex.

Attachments

• custom paint 001.jpg
    custom paint 001.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 114
  • custom paint 002.jpg
    custom paint 002.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 109
  • custom paint 003.jpg
    custom paint 003.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 114
  • custom paint 004.jpg
    custom paint 004.jpg