Airbrush help

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
I was given a Badger model 250 airbrush by a friend a few weeks ago. Now that the weather is better, I want to use it but I've never used an airbrush and he didn't have the instructions. Does anybody have the instruction set for this and could send me a copy? It is a single action external mix airbrush btw.

Thanks,
Michael

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hi Michael

I don't have the instructions but perhaps you could get a set from Badger. Here's their website:

http://www.badger-airbrush.com/

In the meanwhile, how about just getting some old cardboard boxes and some cut out paper shapes, put a little diluted paint in the jar and start spraying. Get a feel for it.

If you are worried about how to disassemble and clean it after, try unscrewing everything you can from the nozzle and back end and you'll see it's a pretty simple affair. Here's another link that might be useful (it's too long to paste here as a link - you'll have to copy it into a new browser window):

advancement.cnet.navy.mil/products/web-pdf/tramans/bookchunks/14262_ch6a.pdf

Hope this helps until someone more knowlegable weighs in.

cheers
:D Val

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
There's much more around!

Val, thank you for the great link! It gives complete instructions about the use and treatment of an airbrush.

BTW: My browser (Netscape) didn't find the website first, so I had to add a 'hhtp://www.' in front of your address.

Then I started to modify the given URL by changing the last number from '...ch6a.pdf' to '...ch6b.pdf' and presto: Second part of this handbook about airbrushing. And there's even a third part, of course chapter '...ch6c.pdf'. All in all there's about everything I ever wanted to know about airbrushing - and then some more. :D

Now I became really curious, and I browsed through every chapter available. If you want to know anything about paints, lettering and drawing - here you find it. The chapters (always with Val's URL with the ending of '...ch#.pdf' where # is the number) are:
1 - Medium (pens, inks, pastels...), 2a and 2b - Color, 3 - Drawing techniques, 4 - Cartooning & animation, 5 - Lettering, 6a 6b and 6c - Airbrushing, 7 - Photography, 8 - Computer Graphics.

Here is an immense wealth of information about every sort of graphics you can think of. It looks as if this was a manual of the US Navy. Don't know why they are so keen on graphics - but for us modelers it's just GREAT. :cool:

Thanks again, Val, for opening this treasure chest of information! :) :) :)

Ron

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
thanks

Val,

Thanks for the link and thanks to Ron for exploring it further. I have an airbrush that I bought some time ago because it was on sale, but never used it. I have a "manual" that came with it, but just like your car manual, it tells you how to start, stop and maintain it, but it doesn't tel you how to drive. I now have a manual that does just that. (using an airbrush that is, I should know how to drive my car; well I should but we can't be too sure):rolleyes:

Don

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Hi Ron

That's great! I should have explained about the http:// part. I had to take it out because with it, the Gauge posting program was parsing it as a URL, but one that was too long, so it added the "..." which made it not work.
Anyway - cool idea to change the chapter numbers. I'm gong back and do the same!

cheers
:D Val

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
airbrush

I'm glad somebody has got one that works. I have a Badger 250 and a 350, and neither one works. There are no clogs, all openings are clear and clean. Hook it up to the compressor and it blows good, but no siphon action, nothing, nada, zilch. Itried clear water once, and the 250 blew bubbles down the siphon tube. i yjink I need to give up on Badger and try Paasche or Testors or Aztek. Any suggestions?

Lynn

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Lynn, Hate to tell you old friend but you have got a clog somewhere in the siphon. Thats the only thing I know of that will cause the bubbles.

Now it not hopeless....Hope you have the instruructions with the "exploded" view. Take every thing apart and soak it in lacqure thinner for a few hours (no plastic parts in the thinner).

Clean everything up after soaking with a pipe cleaner and then rinse the parts again in the thinner. Reassemble the brush and it should work.

It only takes the tinyest bit of dried paint to clog it up and most likely you won't be able to see it.

Also look at the parts diagram and make sure that nothing like an "O" ring in the tip is missing or cracked.

Hope this helps.

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
I emailed Badger yesterday and got a reply early this morning. They are sending me a copy of the instruction book, plus replacing the defective bottle of clear flat finish I got from MicroMark that was defective. Very quick turnaround if you ask me... :)

Michael

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
airbrush

Thanks for all the help everybody. I emailed Badger, told the problem, and gave my phone #. A couple hours later they called and said something more must be wrong than clog. I packed and sent both, and they thought there should probably be no charge. I sure can't beat that, and makes me a Badger fan.

Lynn