Air Products Cabosse

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by superdairyboy, Jun 8, 2006.

1. superdairyboy

superdairyboy New Member

I thought that the day of the caboose was of yester year. Unitl a couple months ago we saw a Caboose on the end of a NS train. this train was running along the Lehigh River in Carbon County PA near Lehighton and Jim Thorpe. We could no beleive there was a caboose. it was all paint in the Air Products logo. Not sure if it was and advertising scheme or what but it was really neat to see it as we could not stop talking about seeing it on the way home.

2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

There are two uses that I know of for cabooses today. Some railroads will use them to protect the rear of a local where they are switching industries in a downtown environment dealing a with lot traffic. The other and more common usage is for transporting railroad police from one place to another on the railroad, and as a portable police office.
  3. superdairyboy

superdairyboy New Member

Ok did not Know that. I was wondering is it was a form of advertising, Something like Adopt a Cabosse or something. Great I dea i think But not sure if it would pay off

4. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

5. Skammer

Skammer Member

There are also privately owned cabooses out there, just like private passenger cars, and sometimes the owners will hire the railroad to move them around (but a lot of roads won't do this). We have a member of our club who owns a caboose painted in the orange IC scheme that sometimes goes on our passenger excursions.
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Babcock and Wilcox, the boiler makers, have a caboose in their yard. I think they may put it on a train that's delivering a boiler so that their staff can accompany it. They'll be there to monitor and advise whne theere are clearance questions, and also to make sure they don't get stuck in a yard for a week.