Air powered SR-71

Discussion in 'Radio Control & Other Propulsion Methods' started by commando, Jul 14, 2006.

1. commando

commando New Member

Found this web site that has a large scale SR-71 and plans for a "air bladder" with instructions on how to make one. I am going to try this it looks as though it should work????
    here is web site
    then proceed to this link on the right hand side "papermodels"
    then click the name "Mike Bauer"
    you could have distance contest or even races!!!
  2. GT5500

GT5500 Member

He is a member here and if you run a search on this forum you will find the model and a load of posts about it by Mike.
  3. rickstef

rickstef Guest

and the files for everything are here on the site too

4. commando

commando New Member

I have been thinking on this and have watched the videos, what about a Co2 Container from a BB gun?, I am not sure on the weight issue but I would guess it has enough power to send the model a good distance and fast???

any thoughts on this, it would not be hard to rig up a way to swap new one in and out.......zoom zoom
  5. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

CO2 Containers

Hi Commando,
    I've thought about them and the 2000lb N2 (think fire extinguisher charge bottle).

They are Dangerous! Flying thru the air they could hurt someone bad! Other than that, they should work fine.

I've always wanted to turn a fire extinguisher into a steam powered rocket! Saw it done once, always wanted to do it since!

I have a thread here = Caution: Jet powered paper airplanes-I have the newer version of the SR71 to download, although the nozzle needed is a fiberglass tube now. It also has a replaceable nosecone!

Also the F104 model is a free download as well. I have others soon to post, but for now these will have to suffice.

Best regards,
    Mike Bauer
  6. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

co2 works...

i have used co2 on a scaled up/remote contoll version of the currel graphics glider paper model...

used the co2-(2 cartridges, and jury rigged popper) to launch it, and results work fairly well, only thing is it expends fast! so u need something with a lot of lift to expect results...

good luck
  7. hpept

hpept Member

Have you ever heard about the flying coke bottles? Just google the following "diet coke + mentos"... it should be fun and less dangerous than an airborne fire extinguisher... :twisted:
  8. commando

commando New Member

mentos and coke

but with a paper craft would not be as cool, more soggy:cry:

I was thinking of a local school's football field to try it on you have yardages to figure out your distance.

Thanks again to Mike Bauer!:grin:
  9. bigtom

bigtom Member

I am still waiting for things to dry out!

The 104 is REALLY ready......

A repost from earlier!
  10. commando

commando New Member

what weight cardstock do you like to use I have 67lb and an thinking a heavey stock would be better fot my airpowered attempts.

any suggestions?
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Dry OUT.................. Man until Saturday night I almost forgot what rain looks or feels like. I even had to get out and make sure I was not imagining it!:grin:

Can't wait to see the vid............... good luck!

12. bigtom

bigtom Member

this big one is a 67 lb stock i believe, but mike bauer printed it for me and he would know...
  13. mbauer

Cardstock Issues

Hi Commando,

I've tested several different brands of cardstock. I checked to see if hammermill was one of those I tested, it wasn't. The reason I mention this is I read another thread that mentioned hammermill is the strongest they've seen.

Well, the tests I did prove that Springhill Index and Tag, are strong and light weight. For my big models I use Springhill Tag 125#, and Springhill Index 110#.

Wausau in the 110 index will work, it just isn't as strong. It was the weakest out of the 110# stuff. It was also the easiest to work into shape!

On my F104 model that Tom is holding, it uses Springhill Index 110# for everything except fot the Nacelles. For those I use Wausau 110#, because it is easier to form and glue!

For the really big models, 68" Bell X1, I double wall the inside of the fuselage (where the wing root attaches) and double wall the wing root (inside of wing).

Since I'm starting to work on installing a pulsejet into a V1 model, I'll use any ideas on how to make this idea work (what would you do to get cardstock to standup to 150-215mph winds?).

The 1900 deg F temperature isn't the problem, I'm using ceramic paper (rated 2600 degF total with a 800 deg/hour burn thru), to deal with the heat.

After rambling so long, I hope I answered your question: All types and weights come in handy!

One thing about the CO2. If you make it and get ready to fly, I've found that after the first glide-testing session, it is wise to just throw the model as hard as you can. This verifys the model is ready for flight at speed.

Also there is a manufacturer that makes small jet engines (just like Estes Rocket motors). . Some hobby shops and online hobby shops now carry them! I have some L3's! The L3s burn for 19-seconds, instead of 300mph in a fraction of a second, these burn slow and long!

14. mbauer

I've seen and even helped someone test my bladder idea in them. He uses the flourescent light tube protectors (lexan tubes up to 8 ft long) as well.

Problem was trying to get water and then pressure them up. You almost have to use a tank of some kind that you can load both water and air at the same time. Dave decided it wasn't worth the effort, and stuck to the pepsi bottles/lexan tubes.

Have you seen the video with the water rockets strapped to a guys back?

The fire extinguisher went to about 15,000 ft AGL and was done at a high power rocket launch site! A whole different breed of rocket, some are 35 to 50 ft long! (High Power Rocketry)

15. commando

commando New Member

Thanks to everyone for the help and answering my questions on this site i hope that someday i can be as helpful to someone else as you have been to me...happy flying!
  16. mbauer

Hi Commando,

Just want to say thank you for the interest in my models! I hope you have fun experimenting with the bladders, or the CO2 cartridges!

Keep us posted with your results.

For anyone else that might be interested in the bladders, McMaster-Car "" has tubing (Natural Latex Rubber Tubing), and some plastic tubing fittings that will work for nozzles (3/8"x3/8" coupler Part No. 5372k516).

I use the 1/4" ID x 3/16" Wall tubing with a Fiberglass nozzle to get the 11 oz of thrust for F104 and SR71.

For the fiberglass tube to make the extended nozzles, use fiberglass pushrod tubes made by Dave Brown Part No. PRDS-5400. These probably are in the LHS on a shelf or hanging on a peg.

The reason the above nozzle material is used, is because they will fit onto a can of computer keyboard cleaning/dusting air. Once the can empties, I cut the plastic assembley up and use the part as an adapter. Slide a basketball/football fill needle inside of it (Cut about 3/8" off of the needle end first) and use Gorrila Glue to glue them solid to make an adapter for bicycle pumps.

You can use any size/type of nozzle that you can get compressed air into the bladder with. I'm experimenting right now with a few different sized nozzles (1/4" I.D. to 1/2" I.D.). It takes 18#psi to expand the bladder on the thicker walled ones. I'm hoping 2-3 lbs of this will be available for thrust with bigger nozzles!

Anybody know of a good wind tunnel for sale? The small classroom size.

Best regards,
    Mike Bauer

Best regards,
    Mike Bauer