Air compressors

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by UKSteam, Dec 25, 2006.

1. UKSteam

UKSteam Member

Wondered if someone might give me some advice on a reasonable air compressor to buy. I've done searches on the web, but al I can find is either really expensive one's (read as full set including very fancy spray heads) that are for painting way above what I need, or cheapo ones that are going to last all of 10 mins. I've got a single action Badger spray gun, and will only be using it for track, scenery, and touchup's on ballast. Up til now I've been using the cans of propellant, but at 10-15 bucks a pop, I figure it would be wiser to just invest a few cans worth in a small electric compressor and be done with it.
  2. 65GASSER

65GASSER Member

I've been thinking of getting a better airbrush setup so I'm curious to see what the replies are. I've been using a Testors electric pump airbrush setup. Not the best in the world but it works for me!
  3. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

Testors is selling a cheap one, compressor and airbrush for around 40 bucks. I have one that I intend to upgrade but it seems to work fine and has several hours on it.

4. Heath

Heath Member

I started out looking for a compressor when I got back into the hobby and had the Testors one. I believe it was blue and semi transparent. I didn't like it as I think it was turn on the switch and the compressor was always on until you turned it off.
    I then went to an Iwata and was a world of difference. It's a bit of an older model, has a silver body around the motor but essentially is the same as this model here
    The great thing about this compressor is that it "tops" itself off when the pressure gets below a certain level that you've set it at on the dial then turns itself off. You can dial in all kinds of pressure on it so it's also great for weathering. Another is that it's very quiet so you can use it late at night if you get inspired to paint in the wee hours.
    This model does have rubber feet but does tend to walk around when in use so I just keep an eye on it.
    Lastly, the water vapor trap is great too. Very nice little machine and it also won't break the bank too.
    I used to use the cans of air gas too. You paint for about 3 minutes and the pressure drops until the can warms up again. A hassle when you're painting a large area.
    Hope this helps.
  5. 65GASSER

65GASSER Member

I think that may be the one I have, but think I gave about $60 for it at Wal mart.
  6. NCMRailroad

NCMRailroad Member

Anyone happen to know where one can watch a few videos online on how to learn to use an airbrush?
    Many thank youz!
  7. 2-8-2

2-8-2 Member

Badger 180-10
    Regulator w/ gauge and moisture trap

It's reasonably priced, quiet, and definitely gets the job done. I'm very happy with it.