Air Brush info needed

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by ClarkW, Apr 29, 2005.

1. ClarkW

ClarkW New Member

I am thinking about getting an air brush but don't know anything about them. I'm not looking for the absolute best in the world, but don't really want a "beginners" on either. If I am going to purchase one, I don't want to be replacing it in 6 months. It makes better sense to get a good one to start.

I have two compressors that I use with air nailers. One is very portable (if a bit loud). I have read what I could find from a search of "The Gauge" and it seems that a compressor is a necessity. Would I be better off purchasing one made specifically for air brushing? If so, which one?

Thanks for taking time to read this.

2. rksstl

rksstl Member

Hi Clark,
    Here's a good link for you

I use a Badger 200 real easy use & clean single action for most everything, I also use a Badger Anthem dual action for fine work. The dual action take more practice to get the hang of it. A compressor is a real good investment but I keep a can of propel around for late nite use.
  3. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

by other comments from friends they say that badger brushes are a good starter brush i use a older paasche my self. and compressor can be used as a air sorce but it must have a regulator and a moisture trap.
  4. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Jim is right about the regulater and moisture trap. Almost any compressor will work for air brushing. One with a tank to store compressed air and keep down pulsing is very handy, and that is where the regulator comes in to reduce the pressure from 100 psi or so down to a useable 16-20 pounds. An inline drier is necessary to keep the paint from being contaminated with moisture while spraying.
  5. ClarkW

ClarkW New Member

Thanks for the great information. I will look for a pressure regulater and an inline moisture seperator/drier.

Sounds like the Badger is the way to go.

6. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

There's also the Iwata Eclipse series. Priced entry level and very easy to clean.