AHM/Riverossi Wheelsets?

RobertInOntario

Hi Robert,
I see why the sparks and burning smell occurred.
One of the tender trucks is turned around and causing a short circuit.
On the AHM Pacific, the tender should pick up power from only one rail.
In the photo, the wheels with the metal disc that transfers power from the rims to the axle of one truck are opposite the pick up wheels on the other truck and should be on the same side.

Thanks! That makes sense. I'll try repositioning that truck then. One of the wheel-sets is definitely bent but it might still run OK. I'll let you know later this weekend if the repositioning works! Rob

RobertInOntario

Ray's right, that is a common boo boo with Rivarossis and others like them where the wheelsets are easily turned around. I have spare axles but not the grounded type in that diameter.

Thanks as well -- this makes sense. I'll let you know if I have any success later today/tomorrow. Rob

RobertInOntario

Hi Robert,
I see why the sparks and burning smell occurred.
One of the tender trucks is turned around and causing a short circuit.
On the AHM Pacific, the tender should pick up power from only one rail.
In the photo, the wheels with the metal disc that transfers power from the rims to the axle of one truck are opposite the pick up wheels on the other truck and should be on the same side.

Thanks -- this indeed was the problem.

After repositioning the trucks the loco now runs like a charm! :mrgreen:

Thanks for your help in solving this problem -- I would have been scratching my head for weeks trying to figure this out !

Cheers,
Rob

RobertInOntario

Ray's right, that is a common boo boo with Rivarossis and others like them where the wheelsets are easily turned around. I have spare axles but not the grounded type in that diameter.

Thanks for your help with this as well, Bob. I'm just happy that it's now running and such a simple thing fixed it. Rob