Ahm Ho 1976

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by kmccain, Jun 29, 2005.

1. kmccain

kmccain New Member

Hi, I just found this site. I have an old AHM HO scale 1976 train set that was my kids' - the power pack got wet at some point & doesn't work. Wondering if it can be replaced? Or is anyone interested in this particular set if my kids or grandkids don't want it?

Karen McCain
  2. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

oh of course you can get a new power pack, most hobby shops sell them. even if your local shop doesn't, you can certainly get them off the internet. you can get cheaper power packs from Model power, and a good power pack you can buy is a Spectrum Magnum, it should be good enough to run most trains avaiblable today.

also, what condition is the set in? how well does the locomotive work? does the track need cleaning? i have a few locomotives and track from way back then, and the locomotive usualy can use good maitenance and cleaned track. make sure you clean the metal locomotive wheels.
  3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

The year they had some real value was 2001, the 25th aniversary of the Bicentennial. since then they've dropped 20-30%. The power pack is easily replaced on eBay for about $5-8. You can even snatch them up at yard sales and Flea markets for a buck or two. To make sure they work, just plug them in and listen for the hum of the transformer. Chances are it'll work just fine as they're pretty bullet proof. While I'd love to complete my set, my budget says no :rolleyes: Depending on condition, you can sell them on eBay, the deisels fetch between $10-20, $25-35 for the old timer steamers. The cars fetch between $2-6. Hope your kids or grandkids will want to hold onto them if for no other reason than a family heirloom.
  4. kmccain

kmccain New Member

Thanks for the advice. I expect we will keep the set, especially if I can get it to run. If I look for the transformer on eBay, should I just ask for "transformer/power pack for 1976 AHM HO scale set"?

Karen McCain
  5. kmccain

kmccain New Member

Thanks also to green elite cab - what is the best way to clean the engine & track?

K. McCain
  6. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

You shouldn't have to go to evil-bay to get a transformer. You could pick up a brand new MRC power pack at your local LHS pretty cheap and you are assured that it would work.
    A Railpower 1300 runs about $40.00.
  7. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Hi Karen,

A lot of us use isopropyl alcohol and a cloth. If its real bad try an abrasive pad called a "Brite boy" (spelling?) available at hobby shops.
    Good luck!
  8. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

As Ralph said, alcohol and a small cloth, I use an old hankerchief ---NO STEEL WOOL---. For real scrubbing I use a pen eraser, a pencil one is too soft. I've had good success with eBay myself and found my Rail Power 1300 there new in the box for $18 including shipping. It is a very good basic pack.
  9. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

Karen,if you don't go for a good pwer pack on ebay and just want a basic train set one, I've got a box full of them. I don't know what shipping would be. JUst remember I have free ones as a last resort.

10. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Karen: almost any HO power pack should work. If you try to replace it exactly, you'll be asking for problems. You need 12V DC output and a rating of at least 1 amp or 12 Watts. More amps/watts is better, but much more is wasted. It may have an AC output as well; that's OK.
    Don't buy DCC (command control); that's advanced stuff and not designed for your train.
    Look at the threads here on track and wheel cleaning. Lots of different liquids, and a bunch of techniques. You'll need to clean the wheels and the track.
  11. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

lionel and life like sell maitenence kits. i buy the lionel one. it comes with track cleaner( the alchohol they mentioned) a track eraser or cleaning block, lubricant for gears and wheels, and oiler for medal parts of the lionel O -scale trains.

you get the same basic pack from Life Like except i think they ad smoke fluid fore steamers. a maitenance kit is usualy sold for like 13-15 dollars at your local hobby shop, and there is usualy instructions on the back. just make sure you don't loose the track eraser, lol, don't let it get mixed with other erasers, you might never see it again!

when i clean my track, i run it over with a paper towel dampened witht eh track cleaning alcohol, then the eraser. track should be ultra shiny when you are done

locomotive wheels need more work. they are also a bit harder to clean but once clean they won't need to be cleaned in a while. you first have to remove the wheels from the truck . MAKE SURE YOU MEMORIZE WHERE EACH PART GOES!!!!!! if you don't feel safe about takeing the locomotive apart then don't , and see if you can get someone to help you. by removeing the axels you make it much move easy on yourself to clean the wheels. also, judging from how old your train is, it will need lubrication.

once you have the axels free, take a paper towel or microbrush if you have one, and wet it with track cleaner. try and scrub of as much grime as you can. you can also try rubbing the wheel on the ed of the track eraser. the wheels probalby wont be shiny, but electrical contact will be improved.

also while the axels are out of the truck, take a look at the gears inside. you don't have to remove them, but get a micro brush, or a tooth pick, and put some train lube on it. rub a SMALL amount on where the axels rub on the truck, and the axels of the gears. don't put on to much, or hair and dust will build up and give the oppostite effect, and lock your train up. don't worry though, if it doesn't seem like enough it probably is enough, you don't need that much anyway.

i don't like Ebay, just me, but for now just buy a brand new power pack. you don't need the exact kind that came with the set. you can get any HO gauge power pack available. if you plan to build a layout with it buy a bigger power pack. otherwise a model power one will do just fine.
  12. petey

petey Member

Take Lynn (yellowlynn) up on the offer. This is a basic train set quality locomotive. At this point you don't need to trouble yourself with amperage of Lynn's powerpacks . If you decide to proceed further in the hobby, and think you have a need for more power, you can consider a more powerful powerpack(transformer), then. :)
  13. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

Karen, if I knew what part of the world you lived in, I would know if it would be practical to just send you a power pak.

14. kmccain

kmccain New Member

power pack for 1976 train

Thanks so much for all the advice from so many of you. Sorry I have not responded earlier, have been on vacation.

I really appreciate your help.

Karen McCain