ahhh a new layout

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by digital_signal_, Mar 14, 2003.

1. I play this fantasy game online sometimes called "Diablo2" where you create/build different character classes, and add equipment, go off into the wild and complete quests to gain experience and levels/skills and more equipment.

Posting these pictures reminds me of this game because even the experts at this game always end up starting over again, naked, and building up again, with maybe a new variation in mind. Here's to starting over again : )

My father's new layout, (I'll be helping some) starting modest, (8x4) based on a plywood tabletop benchwork. Mountain and tunnel at the far end, town, light industry in center and right spur, with a passenger terminal on left side S portion.

Attached Files:

2. The left side, passenger term to go in the gap. Think that S curve will cause derails?

Attached Files:

3. right side spur to go into a mine perhaps, far loop will be a tunnel/mountain.

Attached Files:

4. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

Hi There

Welcome to the gauge. Sure looks like your off to a good start. I don't think that s curve will give you any problems. Have fun and enjoy the hobby with your dad. Ron :cool:
  5. interurban

interurban Active Member

Hi digital_signal_

So ya helping ya Pa, How long has Father been modeling?:D
    Have`nt heard from you for a bit Or have I missed your posts??

That`s a nice start but I bet it`s going to get bigger:D :D :D
  6. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

It looks like it has a straight section in the middle of the "S" curve.
    If the straight section is as long as or longer than your logest car, it won't be a problem. "S" curves only cause problems when one end of a car is going one way while the other end is going the opposite way.
  7. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

hi digital, I like your layout! How far apart are the track centers on the curves? Are you putting in a double crossover on the straight side? I like where you have the depot. Good Luck!!:) :)
  8. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi digital_signal_ and welcome to the gauge. Yep, helping Dad is always good. I think your layout plan is going to be okay, like to see it when the track is laid, anyay, looks like your are having fun.

9. John Sneed

John Sneed Member

new layout

cidchase, the tracks are 2.5 in. on center.I'am readly to start buying everything I need to get started with. What I would like to know is where can I get the most bang for the buck.I need track,turnouts power packs,engines,rolling stock, and what ever else I need.
    If someone knows a good website,I woukd like to have the address.Some of the things I wantI can get at the LHS,but their prices are out of sight

Thanks for any help
  10. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hi John,
    Try www.trainworld.com for Atlas flex track, turnouts, and switch machines.
    Some people said they had a little trouble navigating the site, but it worked OK for me! :D
    Good prices, they will take your order over the phone (telling you what's in stock), and ship quickly.
    They also have a number of locos, etc. Take a look.:) :)
  11. Chessie

Chessie Member

I john
    The best price for atlas track I have found is at a place called
    www.hobbiesrus.com. They have flex for $1.55, check out their site.
    You can't order over the internet but they are prompt on the phone. I purchase all my track their and have always had good luck.

12. Holy cow, that's the best price on flex track I've seen : )

We're doing code 83, and will save about 50 cents a piece thanks to your link : )

I plan on giving them a call tomorrow and seeing what else they have in stock that isn't listed on the website (hoping some rolling stock, perhaps that Kato engine dad wants will be as good a deal).