Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by GEEDUBBYA, Jun 12, 2005.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Guys,

Well I just finished a test build of a model I hope to release as a freebie within the next week. Its the AGM-28 Hound Dog Missile. A brief history of the Hound Dog can be found at this site. .

Like I said I hope to have the finished drawings done in the next few days, complete with a stand for the model. I am gonna see if I can sweet talk Eric (aka scudbusted) over at into hosting it on his site in .pdf format as a free download.

have a good day,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA
  2. Darwin

Darwin Member

3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

This is one kit I will definitely look forward to. Needs to be in SAC Bomber camo also though...hehe. In 1972, I climbed into a Scott Airpack and environmental suit, then headed towards the anhydrous ammonia shack to put some of that fool stuff onboard a Hounddog. I have no idea what the missile used the anhydrous ammonia for, but I always figured it has something to do with the warhead.

Anyway, only a few minutes inside the shack and I was suddenly overcome with the ammonia and passed out. My safety man outside seeing what was happening, grabbed the safety rope and pulled me out and removed my helmut. I was bleeding profusely from the nose, with blood coming out of my ears. Any longer in there and I probably would have died. Everytime I saw I saw a hounddog after that, I had shiver running up and down my spine. Still do a little after 33 years.

But I do need a hounddog to slap under the inside pylons of my B-52H when I finish it 8v) if I ever finish it. By the way, the airman who pulled me out and saved my life got the Airman's Medal for what he did. We also determined that a broken inlet hose causing a leak of outside air into the airpack is what caused my problems.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Ash,

Well now this missile is something you can most definitely related to then, albeit, it doesnt sound like "fond memories".
    I knew that you and dave both were "B.U.F.F." buffs and when I first started the drawings, (and they are really simple drawings lol ), I thought about who other than myself and possibly you two and eric (scudbusted) might be interested in this model.
    I never knew the missile was as prominently deployed as it was, in the early 1960's, there were 29 squadrons of B-52's equipped with the hound dog. Each plane carried two missiles, one under each wing, and each missile carried a four (4) megaton nuclear warhead. I also read in the history of the missile that its guidance system could cause it to be off by as much as one (1) nautical mile, but that the USAF and SAC was not concerned about that, apparently 4 megatons covers plenty. Like I told Dave in an email earlier, I guess there is some truth in that old saying..."close only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades and nuclear warfare, and in the last two, you dont even have to be close".
    Also while reading about the missile I learned that the B-52 could use the jet engines of the missiles to help it get aloft and then replenish the missiles fuel from the B-52's fuel tanks in the wings.

Anyway, I have rambled enough, have a good evening all,

Greg aka GW
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey GW.............. count me in as wanting a copy. I just have a thing for all those old missles.

My drone Regulus looks great and now I've got to build the stand for it.

Thanks Guys!
  6. Gil

Gil Active Member

7. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Interesting...I alway thought it had to do with the nuke onboard. I knew the engine was JP-4 fueled as we gassed it up all the time. Putting the liquid anhydrous ammonia onboard didn't happen often.

Thanks for the update. 8v)
  8. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Outstanding. Like Ashrunner I can't wait. HMM wonder if we can scale it to go with the B-52D that we have?

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Guys,

Ok, I just downloaded the AGM-28 Hound dog into the free models section of the parts bin.
    Now, not being someone who designs card models, (I am more of a builder than designer), you will find that it is a very simple model done in ms paint.
    These are the same drawings I used to create the model in the above photos, what took so long was arranging the parts on the pages, labeling of parts and the simple instruction sheet that is with it.
    There is no dehydral on the wings, and although I did have a problem with some parts outlines fading abit, once cut out, the fading does not affect the model.
    So have at it. I printed mine on inexpensive International Paper companies photo paper (gloss).

Have a good day,

10. oceaneer99

oceaneer99 New Member

Thanks for the plans! I'll have to build one. My father was a B-52 pilot and made some of the test launches of the Hound Dog. You are correct; he did mention using the Hound Dog's engines to get aloft, sometimes referring to his "10-engined B-52".

He also mentioned how simple the controls for it were. Plus, if you had an engine fire, you'd just "jettison". :shock:

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Oceaneer99,

First allow me to welcome you to the forum, we are all glad ya found us. lol.
    The hound dog missile plans are just something I threw together in my Paint program one day, its a very simple model nothing High-tech about it, it is a 15-30 minute build. But when built with high gloss photo paper its comes out really nice looking (to me atleast).
    I dont know if while you were in the parts bin whether or not you noticed, but there is a REGULUS I missile in there also along with a scud, both are really nice models too, designed by another member here, Eric Truax aka scudbusted. He is in the last days of finishing up his designs on several versions of the REGULUS II missile which he will soon release as free downloads, more than likely here in our part bin as well as another site.
    If you would like to see what they look like, you can go to my photo album, (just click on my profile and you will be redirected to a page where you can open my album).
    Anyway, thanks for the kind words, and again, welcome to the forum, we all look forward to seeing more posts by you now that you found us.

Have a good evening,

Greg aka GW
  12. bholderman

bholderman Member

Sheesh, what happens to a Hound Dog missle jettisoned at cruising altitude? Or for that matter takeoff over populated areas?

Are those things ever considered during those kinds of situations? Is it a pilots decision or something her would have to radio for approval?

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Bholderman,

Ya think a 4 megaton nuke might ruin your day? or atleast get it off to a bad start if it fell in the neighborhood.

Have a good day,

14. dennis03

dennis03 New Member

I was stationed in Grand Forks during 1967 - 1968 with the 319th AMMS (Airborn Missile Maintenance Squadron). I came on this website kind of by accident. I originally worked on the Mace Missile (CGM-13B) and I was trying to find some info about that missile. We are getting ready to move one from Wildwood, FL to Indiana.

Anyway, the ammonia was used for cooling. I was safety wiring one of the ammonia fittings on top of the pylon and a valve blew. I didn't bother climbing down off the hard stand - I jumped from the wing.

The warhead was a Mk 28 which is a 1.1 megaton warhead - same as used on the Mace.

The older model B-52s did run the engines on the missile to get airborn. Starting with the G-model (I think), that was no longer necessary.

Nothing like trying to hang a Hounddog on a B-52 in the middle of the night during February in the windy flat prairie of Grand Forks. It was so cold that we had to wear nylon gloves to keep our fingers from freezing when we touched metal.

Anyway, I hope this information helps.
  15. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

Dennis! Welcome aboard! We really do need folks around here with your kind of experience. I hope that you try papermodeling.

btw, I was a 462 in Germany in the '70's loading tactical weapons.